• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance

Next week I'm about to start my new role in London. I'll be staying a bit out of London and travelling in each day from West Ruislip. I'm buying a cheap banger that I'll use to commute from my mates house to the tube station each day. This thing is only going to be 400 so and I have had a quote to insure it for about 260. But I was wondering if it was possible to have it added to my existing policy and what effect it would have. i.e would it be possible and more cost effective?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Try Confused.com and then compare.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

FFS.

Anything is possible with insurance - they'll take your info and give you as low quote as you want, that does not mean they'll payout in case of the accident - your policy will be almost worthless, a time bomb waiting to explode at the wrong moment.

What is your daily rate in London Tony, less than yearly cost on proper insurance probably? If so, stop cutting corners - get proper stuff and stop asking these questions on forum that is the least designed to give you proper answers.

I'd expect suityou or Wilmslow to ask such questions on here, not you

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        drivel
        Hey! It never hurts to ask for some opinions!

EDIT: unless you're SY01 asking pathetic whiny questions

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          FFS.

Anything is possible with insurance - they'll take your info and give you as low quote as you want, that does not mean they'll payout in case of the accident - your policy will be almost worthless, a time bomb waiting to explode at the wrong moment.
          Nonsense.

The car is essentially worthless and if TE can afford to buy another car of the same value the only thing he has to worry about is injuring other people (Third Party risks), and if it does happen that is between the insurance company and the other parties lawyer.

With an old banger and with the fact that you have another car, you only want third party, fire and theft insurance. However for those over 25 it's normally cheaper to get comprehensive insurance with an excess on the policy equivalent to the cost of the car.

Regardless of if you add it on to your other policy or not if you have to claim then you have to admit that you claimed on your car insurance.

So I would just get the cheapest policy that makes me legal to drive the car.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            The car is essentially worthless
            Car insurance is not there to protect your car - its primary purpose is to protect 3rd parties from 1+ ton object moving at high speed crashing into them - humans, houses, goats, cows: that's what insurance is really designed for. This means that if your insurance is invalidated for any reason you'll be truly ****ed in the event of something really bad happening - and by bad I don't mean cheap banger burned down.

You don't really buy insurance - you buy the opportunity to make a claim in the event of tulip hitting the fan - just buying piece of paper to enable you get road tax disk and pass MOT is totally missing the point - if you are not covered in the worst event then you are throwing money into the air.

Comment

As I said, and as SueEllen pointed out the car is worthless. If it gets nicked I'm hardly going to make a claim for a 400 quid car. My point was should I add the car to my existing car policy or simply take a new one out - I only wondered because I can't be the only person who has bought a cheap runabout to use at the other end of the country.

ATW - stop being such a knob!

"What is your daily rate in London Tony, less than yearly cost on proper insurance probably? If so, stop cutting corners - get proper stuff and stop asking these questions on forum that is the least designed to give you proper answers. "

Yes it is but there is no point paying for insurance which ranged from 300 to over a grand for something that I'm never going to make a claim on and is only there to comply with the law in terms of insuring it for 3rd party claims.

As I said in my original question, would it be better to add to my existing policy or take out a new one? I acn only drive one at once and surely there are parts of an insurance policy which could only be charged once for 1 person who has 2 cars e.g. the legal fees protection
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                As I said, and as SueEllen pointed out the car is worthless. If it gets nicked I'm hardly going to make a claim for a 400 quid car. My point was should I add the car to my existing car policy or simply take a new one out - I only wondered because I can't be the only person who has bought a cheap runabout to use at the other end of the country.

ATW - stop being such a knob!

"What is your daily rate in London Tony, less than yearly cost on proper insurance probably? If so, stop cutting corners - get proper stuff and stop asking these questions on forum that is the least designed to give you proper answers. "

Yes it is but there is no point paying for insurance which ranged from 300 to over a grand for something that I'm never going to make a claim on and is only there to comply with the law in terms of insuring it for 3rd party claims.

As I said in my original question, would it be better to add to my existing policy or take out a new one? I acn only drive one at once and surely there are parts of an insurance policy which could only be charged once for 1 person who has 2 cars e.g. the legal fees protection
                I had similar dilemmas in the past. I found it cheaper to get a separate new policy. On low value cars there is very little or no difference between Third party and Comprehensive Insurance. It should cost you about £150 to insure.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  As I said, and as SueEllen pointed out the car is worthless.
                  Insurance is there to cover THIRD PARTIES - your "worthless" car can crash and cause 1 mln quid worth of damage.

That's why you are insuring not your car and not even yourself but your 3rd party risk that can be much greater than all the money you can earn in your lifetime.

Consequently it means that getting correct insurance is imperative - it's you who is being a knob here: showing complete disregard for possible victims of accident in which your worthless car may well be involved.

Comment

Don't talk crap - All car insurance covers 3rd parties - It's a legal minuimum. Go on, your task for the day, find one that doesn't!

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X