• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I did not get killed at the weekend…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not get killed at the weekend…

Not even hospitalised.

One black eye, a big bruise on my thigh, a strange feeling that my vertebrae are all in a different order and a few cuts here and there are the only signs that I was flattened by a couple of ex-All Blacks during the Amsterdam rugby 10s.

F**king hell, this is what professional players go through every week. I’m still moving rather slowly today, having spent yesterday ambling from sofa to garden and back and sleeping a lot. Shall not be rushing about much.

Still, I’m alive, and loved the experience; somehow you don't feel the pain during the game, but I'm feeling it now.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Maybe now you know why all those other wimps colleagues made their excuses not to play?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Maybe now you know why all those other wimps colleagues made their excuses not to play?
      Yes; ‘coz they’re big girls’ blouses. Bring ‘em ‘ere and I’ll take on the lot of them. Woofters, the lot of ‘em.

Actually, seriously, I can understand some of them. I actually feel quite proud I held my own at that standard, and I had a good team around me too. I think some of you have seen a bit of my fitness regime, and I’m glad I put myself through that, because I’m pretty sure now that if you don’t have seriously well trained core muscles you’ll have your rib cage smashed to pieces at that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yes; ‘coz they’re big girls’ blouses. Bring ‘em ‘ere and I’ll take on the lot of them. Woofters, the lot of ‘em.

Actually, seriously, I can understand some of them. I actually feel quite proud I held my own at that standard, and I had a good team around me too. I think some of you have seen a bit of my fitness regime, and I’m glad I put myself through that, because I’m pretty sure now that if you don’t have seriously well trained core muscles you’ll have your rib cage smashed to pieces at that level.
        So how did you (& team) do?

Comment

I reckon they got knocked out in the pool stage...

Dutch Rugby Vets?

Amsterdam sevens - Pool results
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

First day (having met each other 1 hour before kick-off), we lost by 31-14 to Wooden Spoon, who were made up of recent British and Irish professional players including several recent internationals. Then lost narrowly to a team of ex-Scots profs. Then won against a good Dutch side (Hilversum).

Second day; got through to semi final of plate competition, then lost as too many of our guys were injured.

Then off I went being the rugby mercenary and played for the Scots guys (I’m scots qualified by grandmother) against ‘Corso/White Hart Marauders’, a team made up of recent internationals from around the world including 2 from New Zealand; lost by 33-5. Marauders went on to win the tournament, beating those overgrown girlies from the Pacific Islands.

So it was a weekend with more honourable defeats than victories, but for a scratch team I think we did f**king well, and we were certainly not made to look fools by the best teams.
            Last edited by Mich the Tester; 25 May 2010, 11:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              I reckon they got knocked out in the pool stage...

Dutch Rugby Vets?

Amsterdam sevens - Pool results
              No, Monikers. And we got through the pool.

Comment

No, Monikers. And we got through the pool.
                Good work.

I love watching 7s tournaments - always loads going on.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  Good work.

I love watching 7s tournaments - always loads going on.
                  It was 10s for the over 35s. Officially called 'veterans'; do not be confused by the word. 35 to 40 year olds who've won international caps in the last few years, some of whom are still playing professionally, are anything but 'veterans'.

Comment

Not even hospitalised.

One black eye, a big bruise on my thigh, a strange feeling that my vertebrae are all in a different order and a few cuts here and there are the only signs that I was flattened by a couple of ex-All Blacks during the Amsterdam rugby 10s.

F**king hell, this is what professional players go through every week. I’m still moving rather slowly today, having spent yesterday ambling from sofa to garden and back and sleeping a lot. Shall not be rushing about much.

Still, I’m alive, and loved the experience; somehow you don't feel the pain during the game, but I'm feeling it now.
                    Have you done any boxing in the past?

Comment

Working...
                    X