• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

electric/cordless screwdriver

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric/cordless screwdriver

I bought one at the weekend to help me construct a 'piggy pagoda' I'd bought for the guinea pigs to spend weekends in. Anyway it was from wilkes and is crap. - the screwdriver not the pagoda, (or the piggies)

I want recommendations for a decent electric screwdriver.

I know you lot spend your weekends building shelves to store your railway timetables and copies of Practical Potnoodling, so what should i get?
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I bought one at the weekend to help me construct a 'piggy pagoda' I'd bought for the guinea pigs to spend weekends in. Anyway it was from wilkes and is crap. - the screwdriver not the pagoda, (or the piggies)

I want recommendations for a decent electric screwdriver.

I know you lot spend your weekends building shelves to store your railway timetables and copies of Practical Potnoodling, so what should i get?
    Anything made by Bosch or Back and Decker will be of decent quality but expensive. B&Q own brand tools are generally cheap and cheerful and perfectly good for the odd diy job, if not for regular daily use.

If your not working in confined quarters then get a pistol grip syle rather than a straight one as they are easier to handle.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Don't buy a screwdriver, buy a drill you can slow down. They always have more torque than the screw drivers.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Don't buy a screwdriver, buy a drill you can slow down. They always have more torque than the screw drivers.
        No, that is not good. You need a proper drill/screwdriver that has a clutch and toque settings and reverse. Scewfix is a good start. Don't use cheap screws, buy "turbo" screws that have a cutting edge; these don't require drilling and they will countersink themselves.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          No, that is not good. You need a proper drill/screwdriver that has a clutch and toque settings and reverse. Scewfix is a good start. Don't use cheap screws, buy "turbo" screws that have a cutting edge; these don't require drilling and they will countersink themselves.
          Agreed. Using a drill is much harder as it is much easier to over do it and round the head off. I used to do this and got an old B&D leccy scredriver (the long solid green one that charged in the middle) and its bloody ace. Had it so long I lost touch what is out there but go for a name. Can't scrimp on good tools IMO
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The best cordless I ever had was a Black and Decker (a brand I usually avoid) jobbie bought from B&Q 18 or so years ago and looked something like this:

'cept it was black and made in USA - it was brilliant had a clutch and torque control and the shape was perfect for the job - always amazed me at what a small unit could screw home...until one day I foolishly thought I could also use it as a hammer and fooked it up...since then I have tried all variants - expensive pistol grip jobbies - too heavy and the grip is wrong & cheap pistol grips - Chinese batteries last nano seconds.

Also used mains drills with speed settings - but that's probably over kill for your needs

HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              ........until one day I foolishly thought I could also use it as a hammer..........
              Ah the old multi-purpose "Bodging Hammer"....

Comment

The best cordless I ever had was a Black and Decker (a brand I usually avoid) jobbie bought from B&Q 18 or so years ago and looked something like this:

I've got one of those and it does a good job IMO.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Nothing too bulky, you can't get into all the places/angles you want to otherwise, another vote for B&D here !

Comment

'cept it was black and made in USA - it was brilliant had a clutch and torque control and the shape was perfect for the job - always amazed me at what a small unit could screw home...until one day I foolishly thought I could also use it as a hammer and fooked it up...since then I have tried all variants - expensive pistol grip jobbies - too heavy and the grip is wrong & cheap pistol grips - Chinese batteries last nano seconds.

Also used mains drills with speed settings - but that's probably over kill for your needs

HTH
                    I had the green one which I guess is previous to this on? Lasted me thick end of a decade!! Brillant it was
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X