• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To all those "benefiting" from the tax saving a pension has to offer....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all those "benefiting" from the tax saving a pension has to offer....

BBC News - Queen's Speech: State pension age to rise faster

Speeding up the raising of the state pension age from 65 to 68 will be part of the UK government's first reforms.

The plan will be in the Pensions and Savings Bill, which was outlined in the Queen's Speech.

I hope you live long enough to claim it.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Speeding up the raising of the state pension age from 65 to 68 will be part of the UK government's first reforms.

The plan will be in the Pensions and Savings Bill, which was outlined in the Queen's Speech.

You'll be lucky to find a job at 68. What age group and below will this affect? Or will it include today's 67 year old's (who may already have retired)?

Comment

....but it won't be when you're 68...

I worked at a bank 10 years ago during the 2000 boom and they brought all their (mainframe) developers out of retirement to work again, all over 60...to get the jobs done.

nope when you're 68 it will be perfectly normal.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        I worked at a bank 10 years ago during the 2000 boom and they brought all their (mainframe) developers out of retirement to work again, all over 60...to get the jobs done.
        You will need to wait until year 3000 for it to happen again

Comment

Originally posted by atw View Post
          you will need to wait until year 3000 for it to happen again
          2038, hth.

Comment

I don't get this retirement age thing. If there's lots of unemployment, how does keeping people working longer help? I can't imagine the state pension costs more than keeping a family on benefits.

Comment

People are often unemployed for a very good reason, they are thick and useless, it's better to keep people who are able to work in the system and just keep the long termed unemployed away from it all.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                People are often unemployed for a very good reason, they are thick and useless, it's better to keep people who are able to work in the system and just keep the long termed unemployed away from it all.
                They could be put to use in Afghanistan checking if the road side bomb is now safe or draw fire away from the frontline troops in firefights.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

So will you be stopping your NI payments?

Comment

Things like this (and fact I believe most pensions will go tits up before then) is why i don't bother with an official pension, because by time i get to that age range official retirement age will be probably 70 and no fecking way am i working to that age

Not that I blame the government/pension funds for raising the age either, 50 odd years ago in Europe it was something like 8 workers for every retiree, by 2050 it will be something like 1.3 workers for every retiree which is obviously unsustainable.

So really only two choices keep people working for longer or shoot them as soon as they hit retirement age
                    Originally posted by crack_ho View Post
                    So will you be stopping your NI payments?
                    You will find most private/company pensions raise their age as well after Gov does

Comment

Working...
                    X