• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VW Transporter Conversions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VW Transporter Conversions

Evening,

I am thinking about the prospect of buying a VW transporter (equivalent of a Transit effectively) and converting it to something the family can use. I have me, SY02 - SY05 (inclusive) so we number 5. I originally thought about just converting it to an MPV (albeit a pretty super duper one with SATNav and DVD and everything) but then I think about all sorts of possibilities.

Does anyone know of anyone who has done similar? How much did it cost?

I found these guys

But I really want to DIY. Imagine the main family holiday car being your own handy work, bespoked to your very own specification. He he he.

SY02 is not in favour btw. But I am a stupendously good mechanic and qualified electrician (as well as pretty successful IT contractor recently departing software development into the murky realms of system architecture and systems analysis) so am not at all afraid of a challenge.

Flame away, but not too much, as I may have to recoil into my shell again, and no one wants that
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    ...........SY02 is not in favour btw.........
    Personally I think you should re-read that bit..........

Oh and Hello

I'll leave flaming to the usual suspects!

Comment

that's a big job and is it really worth the effort for family holidays ?

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
        Personally I think you should re-read that bit..........

Oh and Hello

I'll leave flaming to the usual suspects!
        It is appreciated. Let's see. Certain user's flamings will be ignored anyway

And Hi

Comment

I already got a tag cloud of "wgas,yawn"
          My I feel welcome
          Edit: And 1 Star. Well, let's see how this goes then. May just take the hint and scarper.

Comment

It is appreciated. Let's see. Certain user's flamings will be ignored anyway

And Hi
            Nice Avatar..... Well better than the last few.....

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              Nice Avatar..... Well better than the last few.....
              Thought a change of avatar may help. Clutching at straws really.

Comment

**** me suity - chin up and for what its worth it would be a good project if you didn't have kids as you could pimp the ride and get away with the other half.

However these things take ages to do when you DIY and that means time away from SY02/3/4/5...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  **** me suity - chin up and for what its worth it would be a good project if you didn't have kids as you could pimp the ride and get away with the other half.

However these things take ages to do when you DIY and that means time away from SY02/3/4/5...
                  Meh, apparently I pissed of "half the board". Just feeling my way back in. Biggups for the "chinup".
                  I work from home most days and the evenings are light and the kids are able to help (well kind of, but imagine remembering the car being built and then using it when you are 8-10, would be really cool I think) Eldest is 6, then 3, then 1. Could be a good project to involve the whole family if you think about it, not all spanners and grease. SY02 could make curtains, kids could have input as well. Ponders.

Comment

Just ignore the Twunts...........

Just post whatever drivel interesting stuff you feel like and 'uk 'em all.......

They only keep attacking cos they think it gets to you.........

(Of course you might just be a very successful sort of "Reverse Troll")

Comment

Working...
                    X