• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Concorde's Final Departure from JFK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concorde's Final Departure from JFK

Or was it...

BBC News - Work starts in

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

BA used economics as an excuse to retire Concorde. They could have operated a joint service with Virgin to keep it flying but they wouldnt entertain this.

Its a real shame Concorde isnt flying now and Im not the slightest bit surprised the French will probably steal a march on us with this.

Not sure if BA could get a Concorde back after they effectively gave them all away.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Not sure if BA could get a Concorde back after they effectively gave them all away.
      I think that BA retained legal ownership of the concorde's - and still do. They are on permanent loan to the places where they are on display.

BA probably could have kept Concorde flying for another 10-15 years, but the bean counters worked out that they could make more money by "transferring" Concorde customers to BA First Class.

Comment

Something I always regret, is never using the umpteen thousands of Air Miles I collected when I used to work abroad regularly, to at least take a concorde trip to Paris. Oh well.............ne'er mind eh?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Such a beautiful machine. I didn't get the chance to go on it but Mr Z did - and I'm jealous. I really hope that it can fly again.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Been there, done that.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

What did for Concord was that it wasn't American. You can be sure if it had been Boeing who built it we'd have supersonic airliners travelling all long haul routes.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Remember the Soviet copy - Concordski?

Tupolev Tu-144 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This bit is typically Soviet....

Tu-144 pilot Aleksandr Larin remembers a particularly troublesome flight on or around 25 January 1978 that he piloted. The flight with passengers aboard suffered the failure of 22 to 24 on-board systems. Seven to eight systems failed even before the takeoff; however given the large number of foreign TV and radio journalists aboard the flight, and also some other foreign notables aboard, it was decided to proceed with the flight in order to avoid the embarrassment of cancellation. After the takeoff, failures continued to multiply. While the aircraft was supersonic en route to the destination airport, Tupolev bureau's crisis center predicted that front and right landing gear would not extend and that the aircraft would have to land on left gear alone – at the aircraft landing speed of over 300 km/h. Due to expected political fallout, Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev was personally notified of what was going on in the air. With the accumulated failures, an alarm siren went off immediately after the takeoff with sound and loudness similar to that of a civil defense warning. The crew could figure no way to switch it off and the siren stayed on throughout the remaining 75 minutes of the flight. Eventually the captain ordered the navigator to borrow a pillow from the passengers and stuff it inside the siren's horn. Luckily, all landing gears extended and aircraft was able to land.
                Last edited by stek; 31 May 2010, 06:21.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Excellent news! Brilliant!

It should never have been grounded.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                  X