• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

David Laws resignation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Laws resignation

So the pillow munchers been caught out siphoning wonga tax free to his boyfriend

He does the honourable thing and resigns but the papers are all about "praise heaped on Laws"

Have we as a nation lost all our morals?

It's because he's gay we're not allowed to criticise him.

The poor man was clearly a victim of society

Comment

As one wag put it on one of the blogs, "He has been put on uphill gardening leave"

He had to go although I didn't think that he would.

It's a bit of a shame really as started off well. Also it undermines the whole business of cutting spending.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        It's because he's gay we're not allowed to criticise him.

The poor man was clearly a victim of society
        He made a mistake and he's gone, but it does seem that he was good at his
        job and we need people like him to get out Labour's toxic debt legacy.

In addition, if this Lib - Conservative alliance doesn't work, the likely conclusion will
        be another election with Labour in for another 5 years

Comment

Arthur, is that Jim 'they know nothing' Cramer as your avatar?
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

For me, the fact that he is gay is utterly irrelevant.

He broke rules on expenses - siphoning 40K of taxpayers money into his partner's pocket.

All this codswallop about wanting to keep his relationship secret - surely someone as intelligent as himself could have found a way to do this, which didn't involve charging the taxpayer 1000s of pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              For me, the fact that he is gay is utterly irrelevant.

He broke rules on expenses - siphoning 40K of taxpayers money into his partner's pocket.

All this codswallop about wanting to keep his relationship secret - surely someone as intelligent as himself could have found a way to do this, which didn't involve charging the taxpayer 1000s of pounds.

Exactly..... Not claiming £40K would probably have kept his private life private.....

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post

Exactly..... Not claiming £40K would probably have kept his private life private.....
                Actually on reflection it's quite possible that the relationship developed gradually, so the initial claims may have been valid. When the rules changed in 2006, he may have felt that to suddenly stop claiming would draw attention to himself.

Even so, there had to be a way to stop claiming in such a way that didn't expose his relationship. At the end of the day, shedloads of money went from the taxpayer to a recipient that shouldn't have received it.

Comment

At least he had the decency to fall on his sword. Had he been a member of the last mob he would simply have quoted the rulebook and pressed on regardless.
                  Breath of fresh air if you ask me.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    At least he had the decency to fall on his sword. Had he been a member of the last mob he would simply have quoted the rulebook and pressed on regardless.
                    Breath of fresh air if you ask me.
                    Indeed.

But let's not forget one thing, he did not fiddle the taxpayer out of money. He was entitled to claim the same amount to rent accomodation somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                    X