• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF

Luckily I checked-out this coconut piece before eating it. I've not seen red mould before, assuming it is mould. It's only two days old too. Is it penicillin? Shall I try some and report back? It still smells of coconut.

Last week I almost ate some blue mould, from a tub of butter. So I checked the sell by date and that was 3 years overdue, so hands up to that one.

Eat it and tell us if you develop super powers !

EDIT, like this dude (picture too big to in-line)
    http://image62.webshots.com/162/7/54...2hYLIRr_fs.jpg
    Last edited by Platypus; 30 May 2010, 18:23.

Comment

Mould on some foodstuffs is perfectly safe to eat. e.g. some (but not all) cheeses - the mould is the same bacteria used to make the cheese in the first place.

However, any sign of mould and I'd be inclined to throw it away though - as the mould could be caused by harmful bacteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Eat it and tell us if you develop super powers !

EDIT, like this dude (picture too big to in-line)
        http://image62.webshots.com/162/7/54...2hYLIRr_fs.jpg
        Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /162/7/54/32/543975432hYLIRr_fs.jpg on this server.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          Mould on some foodstuffs is perfectly safe to eat. e.g. some (but not all) cheeses - the mould is the same bacteria used to make the cheese in the first place.

However, any sign of mould and I'd be inclined to throw it away though - as the mould could be caused by harmful bacteria.
          I was surprised it appeared so quickly and with such a vivid beautiful pink colour. 2 days is usually associated with being still pretty fresh in my book, with a few exceptions such as uncooked fish.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
            Reddish or pink molds are usually species of Fusarium. For more information about this particular type of mold see the wiki at Fusarium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

If it is a hot pink color, than it might not actually be a mold, but instead a bacterium known as Serratia marscencens. According to a few sites and books I checked, "S. marcescens can cause conjunctivitis, keratitis, endophthalmitis, and tear duct infections. It is common in the respiratory and urinary tracts of adults and the gastrointestinal system of children". (This specific quote is from Wikipedia) If you find this bacterium anywhere in your house besides your coconut, you should be able to kill it off with bleach. :
            Thanks. On a more positive note, from the article:
            Use as human food

Fusarium venenatum is produced industrially for use as a human food by Marlow Foods, Ltd., and is marketed under the name Quorn in Europe and North America.
            I've decided not to eat any, but to let it fester overnight and see what happens. I live opposite a large park, so perhaps there are lots of spores in the air at the moment. Or maybe the coconut was dodgy.

Comment

Let it grow, and let us know what happens. Fascinating.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Let it grow, and let us know what happens. Fascinating.
                I'll post another picture if there are interesting developments. I expect my entire kitchen will be pink by morning.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                  Then a loud whooping noise, followed by a dodgy guy in a bow tie with a blue police box.....

If you hadn't guessed! Dr Who? No. Dr Threaded!
                  Good job that police box is flipping massive inside

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Good job that police box is flipping massive inside
                    LOL. I heard he had a pie shop next to the swimming pool!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X