• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best 20 Concerts - and those that got away!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 20 Concerts - and those that got away!

Was musing about this in the car on a long journey today. My top 20 concerts, in no particular order would be :-

AC/DC
    Led Zeppelin
    Judas Priest
    The Ruts
    The Jam
    Thin Lizzy
    Saxon
    Def Leppard
    Blizzard of Ozz
    Motorhead
    Status Quo
    Rush
    UFO
    ZZ Top
    Stiff Little Fingers
    Budgie
    Hawkwind
    Iron Maiden
    Blondie
    Stereophonics

and 10 I wished I could have seen........

Rammstein
    Metallica
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Sensational Alex Harvey Band
    Pink Floyd
    Van Halen
    George Thorogood
    Bad Company
    Queen
    Accept

Ah well............still time for a few of those.
    Anyone else got any thoughts?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

I think Freddy commanded the best concert during live aid in my living memory...

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Anyone who doesnt have Dire Straits Money for Nothing tour just aint lived ......

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        and 10 I wished I could have seen........

Rammstein
        Metallica
        Stevie Ray Vaughan
        Sensational Alex Harvey Band
        Pink Floyd
        Van Halen
        George Thorogood
        Bad Company
        Queen
        Accept

Ah well............still time for a few of those.
        Anyone else got any thoughts?
        I saw Queen at the Manchester Apollo and without doubt it was the most enjoyable (i.e. entertaining) concert I've ever seen (although I wasn't really a fan )
        Saw Yes at Staffs which was tulipe
        Joan Baez at Ephesus which was OK
        All my mates went down to London to see Pink Floyd do the Wall - I couldn't be arsed & regretted it ever since
        Genesis at loads of places were good (but predictable)
        Tom Waits - brill
        Meatloaf Bat out of Hell tour which was OK
        Bob Dylan last year at the O2 - which was dire
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

The best ones for me would be Zappa on his last tour back in '88, Steel Pulse, Stones in '82 at Wembley & The Tubes.

Ones I missed that I'll probably never get to see would have to include Talking Heads and The Grateful Dead. Would have liked to have seen Hawkwind at Stonehenge too.

Comment

• Neil Young at Wembley Arena in 1982 on the Trans tour. Trans may have been a pretty poor album, but the band was phenomenal, including people from Buffalo Springfield, CS&N, Manassas, Crazy Horse... and Nils Lofgren on accordion

Well, Nils was only on accordion for Comes a Time - the rest of the time he was playing kick-ass lead guitar, and filled in with one of his own tracks (Beggar's Day) while Neil had a piss break

• Hawkwind at Westbury Hill Fort (Bratton Camp, to give the site its proper name) in 1985 playing through the Summer Solstice eve and dawn for us three weeks after the Battle of the Beanfield, while the Police occasionally raced up and down the road at the foot of the escarpment with their sirens going, trying - and failing - to freak us out.

• Roy Harper just outside Kings Somborne on Summer Solstice afternoon 1986: we'd been wandering around Wiltshire and Hampshire all night and all of the day, and we kept running into people who'd been given lifts by him, but nobody knew where anybody was going or what to do until word came through that a farmer was allowing people to gather on a couple of his fields (mainly to annoy the neighbours who wanted to buy them and build houses, it later transpired). Me and my then-girlfriend, the lovely physicist Deborah, were just getting on site as Roy was arriving, and pitched our tent as he was setting up. He wasn't all that well at the time, but he set up his kit, played Me And My Woman, packed it all up again and went home. Thirteen years later I was buying a CD off him after a gig, mentioned the occasion, and thanked him. His jaw dropped: he put the CD down, clasped my hand with both of his and shook it, saying "You were there? Thank you! You're the only person I've met since then who was there! I'm glad you remember! I'm glad you enjoyed it! That was a strange time..."

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I think Freddy commanded the best concert during live aid in my living memory...
              A close second to the Stone Roses at Spike Island - I was there! Ah, Happy days.

Comment

The surprise entry was where I got volunteered under protest to take someone's daughter. Frankie Goes to Hollywood, which turned out to be a bloody good show.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Neil Young at Wembley Arena in 1982 on the Trans tour. Trans may have been a pretty poor album, but the band was phenomenal, including people from Buffalo Springfield, CS&N, Manassas, Crazy Horse... and Nils Lofgren on accordion

Well, Nils was only on accordion for Comes a Time - the rest of the time he was playing kick-ass lead guitar, and filled in with one of his own tracks (Beggar's Day) while Neil had a piss break
                  I saw him on the same tour at the NEC in Birmingham in 1982 and couldn't agree more both about the album and the band he had with him
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A very difficult thread...

I've been to a few good Hawkwind concerts but I've also been to quite a few crap ones. Hammersmith Odeon, possibly this one:

was quite good.

Nik Turner at the Batschkapp might not have been brilliant but the atmosphere was great
                    Primal Scream at the Batschkapp was also pretty good
                    Monster Magnet at the Schlachthof was an eye opener
                    The End Of The World in Harold Wood was a glue sniffer paradise
                    Crass/Poison Girls in Witham was a one-off
                    Sex Pistols in Offenbach brought back memories
                    Yo La Tengo in Negativ was chilled but Chumbawumba was yuppiefied (sadly)
                    Supertramp in my parents front room was okay
                    Motorhead in Brentwood with 30 people was loud
                    Right Said Fred on Thursday in Darmstadt was (apparently) a riot and I wish I had of been there
                    But the best was the one I promoted in Warley, Brentwood with Gerry McAvoy (Rory Gallgher, 9 Below Zero...)

There are just too many and the memory is starting to fade
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X