• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So how would you fix this pesky oil leak?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how would you fix this pesky oil leak?

It'll take months to drill a pressure relief well, which I believe is currently in progress, and maybe that is the only sound solution.

But any ideas how to plug the 21" pipe at the surface, bearing in mind that it is jagged and bent round the top and may be on a tangled superstructure rather than a flat sea bed.

Also, the sea bed probably comprises hundreds of feet of mud, maybe thousands, before hitting bedrock. That suggests a simplistic solution involving sand bags, or suchlike, piled over it probably won't work because the oil (which is under huge pressure - several tons per square inch) will creep round underneath and seep out of the sides as fast as ever.

Explosive techniques probably won't work either, as they risk shattering the pipe further down, and again simply spreading the leak. With a combustion-based method, such as a thermite reaction using powered ferric oxide and aluminium, one runs into the problem of steam, which would probably blast apart the ingredients (and again damage the pipe) before they could set.

The only practical scheme I can think of is to construct a kind of double-ended titanium umbrella (without the fabric), and lower this into the pipe. The lower, upward pointing, spokes would have a fully extended diameter (not attained) of slightly more than the pipe's and they would be diamond tipped, so that when opened they would dig into the sides of the pipe to lock the contraption in place. The force for this would be provided by the resistance of the upper spokes against the upwelling oil.

That wouldn't seal the pipe entirely. But it would reduce the flow, and would be a firm "plug" to hold anything such as expanding foam beneath it, or an inflatable nylon "balloon" around the stem of the gadget itself, or a tulip-petal-like arrangement of titanium flaps that could twist open and further obstruct the flow.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 31 May 2010, 14:28.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I'd wedge MarillionFan inside the leaking pipe. Given the ever-growing size of the chip on his shoulder it could possibly be a permanent solution.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Why don't they just get another Oil Rig and attach it to the pipe?

Next week I'll be showing you how to construct a box-girder bridge and Alan will be showing you how to reconcile the Russians and the Chinese....

Comment

Why not boat some scousers over with gerry cans.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post

I'd wedge MarillionFan inside the leaking pipe. Given the ever-growing size of the chip on his shoulder it could possibly be a permanent solution.
          Didn't MF once mention wearing Doc Martens? If so, and you pop him in upside down, they'd grip the sides nicely.

Yea, that works for me, technically.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This is a job for Hiram Hackenbacker.

Or Bob.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Why aren't people out there making their fortunes collecting free oil? No digging required.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                This is a job for Hiram Hackenbacker.

Or Bob.
                Or Harry Stamper.

Comment

Have they tried firing Bobs at it yet? Quickness AND cheapness.

Comment

One of Bridget Nielsons tampons should do the trick.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X