• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPCC report on Menezes shooting sent to CPS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPCC report on Menezes shooting sent to CPS

So now it is up to the CPS to decide if criminal proceedings shoud be taken against any senior Police officers and/or those who shot Menezes.

Originally posted by BBC
    CPS lawyers will study the report and all the evidence to decide if criminal charges should be brought, and also whether a prosecution would be in the public interest.
    And in the background of this there is a muted threat of Police officers handing in their weapons if criminal charges are made against those that carried out the shooting.

Is it right and/or in the public interest that the CPS decides on the basis of this muted threat ?

Definitely in public's interest

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
    So now it is up to the CPS to decide if criminal proceedings shoud be taken against any senior Police officers and/or those who shot Menezes.

And in the background of this there is a muted threat of Police officers handing in their weapons if criminal charges are made against those that carried out the shooting.

Is it right and/or in the public interest that the CPS decides on the basis of this muted threat ?
    If all the police hand back their weapons then surely that has to be a good thing. Fewer public executions, oops, I meant fewer accidental killings would surely result.
    Why not?

Comment

If the police fecked up big time why shouldnt they be prosecuted?

Comment

There is no part of the law that covers issuing an order to shoot. There certainly is no shoot to injure; when you shoot you shoot to kill regardless.

Watched this last night on the news and newsnight, and the dyke in charge of Gold command on the day is alleged to have given an order to shoot, which has no legal support under article 3 of PACE.

The police office holding the gun must assess the situation him/herself, and then hopefully make the right decision. After a shooting the officer in question is usually treated like a crook anyway, gun is confiscated, interviewed by C.I.D, witnesses interviewed, case prepared and sent to the CPS to see if they can charge you with anything.

It is my understanding that the surveillance cop following the guy did not properly identify him as the target. So it was pretty much fecked from there on.

Conclusion: The cop got it wrong, Blair tried to cover it up and it should come out in the wash.

Comment

Tony Blair won't even be mentioned in the report or any of its repercussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
            Tony Blair won't even be mentioned in the report or any of its repercussions.
            That would be Sir Ian Blair. They can use the Public Interest excuse for not charging anybody and if I was a betting person I'd put money on it.

Comment

Diverting to this father4justice things: should not a file also go if they threaten to shoot someone?
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
                Decision of CPS does not depend on any threats of strikes or anything - they have to make decision to prosecute or not based on law, referring results of investigation to CPS make sense since its the CPS who ultimately decide if there are good chances of success in court.

Comment

The guys who were in the train shouldnt be prosecuted (they were doing their job in what was an extremely stressful situation).

And I dont believe anyone should be prosecuted in the name of public interest...heck...people should only be prosecuted because they deserve to be, not because it would look good to the public!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                    The guys who were in the train shouldnt be prosecuted (they were doing their job in what was an extremely stressful situation).

And I dont believe anyone should be prosecuted in the name of public interest...heck...people should only be prosecuted because they deserve to be, not because it would look good to the public!

Mailman
                    Enter red-neck stage left.

What's wrong Mailman? Wouldn't they give you a gun?

Comment

Working...
                    X