• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance

I have been offered a contract with a basic level of security clearance (either BC, CTC or SC). These levels are of little value to a contractor because they only last for 12 months. How easy is it to "upgrade" the clearance level to DV which would last for ten years?

I have SC which lasts 10 years. But you have to do govt work or not be out of it for longer than 6 mths within that time to keep it (or something like that). Check the DVA rules...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Thanks for the response. I would prefer to not stick to Government contracts though and to have some flexability. I know that DV clearance lasts for 10 years even for contractors due to the continual (or so they say) checks that are carried out during the 10 year span of the clearance.

Comment

DV doesn't last ten years.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Cheers

Comment

SC last for 5 yrs, but you can only spend a year between positions that does not require it.

The SC has to be sponsored by the future employer, so fro example if you do a contract for 6 months which requires SC, then leave, you have 12 months. If you do not work for an organisation that requires clearance then you have to start from scratch.

DV probably isn't necessary unless you are exposed to extreme sensitive information.

Comment

Working...
            X