• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are we just a random collection of atoms?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we just a random collection of atoms?

I believe so.
    And if you think we're something more, what's your evidence?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

I think, therefore I am.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      I believe so.
      You certainly are. Anything that was put together, without the "random" element being allowed such free rein, would surely have turned out a darned sight more logical and interesting than you.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Where is Chico when Sas needs him?
        Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Thought experiment:

Lets say we replace one atom of you. Would you notice that? ...I think not

So lets say we go round and replace one atom at a time....would you notice that?...no

Now we've replaced all your atoms, and we built a new you with atoms we took out, and put them exactly in the same place...OK

Which is you, the one whose atoms have been replaced or the new constructed you, using the old atoms?
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Thought experiment:

So lets say we go round and replace one atom at a time....would you notice that?...no

Now we've replaced all your atoms, and we built a new you with atoms we took out, and put them exactly in the same place...OK

Which is you, the one whose atoms have been replaced or the new constructed you, using the old atoms?
            Note to self - RTFQ.

It's the one which is self aware. If both are self aware, it's both of them.
            Last edited by Moscow Mule; 2 June 2010, 11:18.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thought experiment:

For gods sake don't make a second Sas, one's bad enough.

Comment

The alternative is the teleological argument - the idea that something as complex as life couldn't have happened randomly, so there must be some 'creator'.

I'm on the fence meself...

Comment

Thought experiment:

It's a bit like getting older. I'm older than I was when I started typing this message, but the difference is imperceptible. The difference tomorrow will be negligible. But over a decade there's a noticeable difference. So which nano-second was it where I got old?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                    It's a bit like getting older. I'm older than I was when I started typing this message, but the difference is imperceptible. The difference tomorrow will be negligible. But over a decade there's a noticeable difference. So which nano-second was it where I got old?
                    It was that one, just gone. Grandad.

Comment

Working...
                    X