• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID Cards supporter calls for refund

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Cards supporter calls for refund

Opinion: Angela Epstein - Manchester Evening News

Oh dear, 53 comments, every single one can be boiled down to:
    "You're an idiot! Live with it"
    Coffee's for closers

Blunkett was in the news for something similar this week:

David Blunkett 'may sue Government for

Although he may have been making some kind of funny joke.

Comment

I've just realized - UK ID cards might be collectors' items in a few years.

Damn - I wish I'd applied for one now!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before a full list of everybody who's got one becomes accidentally publicly available, and then you can make a few offers and get one cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          Blunkett was in the news for something similar this week:

David Blunkett 'may sue Government for

Although he may have been making some kind of funny joke.
          And she rolls out the old 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' argument, slightly adapted for modern times;

" if you were a law abiding citizen you had nothing to lose and everything to gain from something that carried little more information about you than your supermarket loyalty card"

She paints those who are concerned about liberty and the individual's relation to the state as loonies.

She is an apologist for fascism. Very recently in Europe, just an hour or so on the plane or a day's drive away, many, many people with nothing to hide and no inclination to commit crimes have had an awful lot to fear from their governments. I'm not talking about nazi Germany, but things that happened far more recently in Yugoslavia, other parts of eastern Europe, and even, up until about 1980, in Spain. It probably won't happen in Britain, but when everyone starts believing it won't happen, it can.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I have more sympathy for the thousands who got lured into the 500£ a day job as a HIP inspector. I know many from a previous project for a HIP training institute. They paid around 10K to train for 6 months at the end of which they were promised a job which would bring in 500 quid minimum but definitely more.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              And she rolls out the old 'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' argument, slightly adapted for modern times;

" if you were a law abiding citizen you had nothing to lose and everything to gain from something that carried little more information about you than your supermarket loyalty card"

She paints those who are concerned about liberty and the individual's relation to the state as loonies.

She is an apologist for fascism. Very recently in Europe, just an hour or so on the plane or a day's drive away, many, many people with nothing to hide and no inclination to commit crimes have had an awful lot to fear from their governments. I'm not talking about nazi Germany, but things that happened far more recently in Yugoslavia, other parts of eastern Europe, and even, up until about 1980, in Spain. It probably won't happen in Britain, but when everyone starts believing it won't happen, it can.
              When (or trying to remain optimistic, if) oil or food become scarce, it could happen anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                When (or trying to remain optimistic, if) oil or food become scarce, it could happen anywhere.
                Yep, very easily.

Every morning I walk past a polished bronze plaque at Amsterdam central station. It's a memorial to Jewish railway workers who were carted off to concentration camps and never seen again; now you could ask how the Nazis knew they were Jews, seeing as most secular Jews don't exactly look radically different to the rest of us. Well it was easy; the local authorities kept slightly more data about people than a modern supermarket loyalty card, and the nazis just looked up the word 'Jewish' under the column 'religion'. The bronzed plaque is ALWAYS spotless and shiny, even now, nnearly 70 years after the events; it is polished almost religiously, as a reminder of what happens when we give up little bits of liberty and humanity. There are similar monuments to be found in the entrances to a lot of business's offices in Amsterdam. Every time I walk past it I'm reminded of why liberty is so valuable and become just a little bit more 'civil libertarian' than I already was.

There’s a good side to all this though. Now the LibCon coalition are presenting stupid people like Angela Epstein with the costs of her own stupidity, instead of the kleptomaniac statist bastards that spent the last 13 years forcing the rest of us to subsidize idiots and chipping away at the liberty of decent people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Yep, very easily.

Every morning I walk past a polished bronze plaque at Amsterdam central station. It's a memorial to Jewish railway workers who were carted off to concentration camps and never seen again; now you could ask how the Nazis knew they were Jews, seeing as most secular Jews don't exactly look radically different to the rest of us. Well it was easy; the local authorities kept slightly more data about people than a modern supermarket loyalty card, and the nazis just looked up the word 'Jewish' under the column 'religion'. The bronzed plaque is ALWAYS spotless and shiny, even now, nnearly 70 years after the events; it is polished almost religiously, as a reminder of what happens when we give up little bits of liberty and humanity. There are similar monuments to be found in the entrances to a lot of business's offices in Amsterdam. Every time I walk past it I'm reminded of why liberty is so valuable and become just a little bit more 'civil libertarian' than I already was.

There’s a good side to all this though. Now the LibCon coalition are presenting stupid people like Angela Epstein with the costs of her own stupidity, instead of the kleptomaniac statist bastards that spent the last 13 years forcing the rest of us to subsidize idiots and chipping away at the liberty of decent people.
                  IBM got sued for providing the equipment.

Holocaust survivors sue IBM over Nazi 'alliance' - Europe, World - The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                    I think they might have provided some of the ideology too.

Comment

Working...
                    X