• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting involved in a Startup / Greenfield

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting involved in a Startup / Greenfield

Best couple of gigs I have done have been startups. There really is nothing more exciting than getting in at Ground Zero and watching something grow.

The plan for next year is to try and get involved on a decent startup project. Either perm or contract(not fussed)

Apart from the odd advert on Jobswerve, I rarely see these come up.

Where would be the best place to start looking IYHO?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Whats your background?

Comment

Give Threaded a shout - seriously.

Although I can't resist saying "He has his fingers in(and around) lots of pies!"...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Best couple of gigs I have done have been startups. There really is nothing more exciting than getting in at Ground Zero and watching something grow.

The plan for next year is to try and get involved on a decent startup project. Either perm or contract(not fussed)

Think like them, if you were going to start-up where would you go? what network events would you attend? What forums would you be on?

<Retro mode> Simples </Retro mode>
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

That's not a bad idea, and I've read that paradoxically a recession is the best time to start a company (seeds germinating in winter and all that).

I wonder how much info can one get from companies house, on new startups with likely looking categories such as "IT consultancy".
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I know someone who just got loads of startup money to design a search engine. You should try him, it will not be long until it's all gone.

Seriously, try to get as much info into your development agencies, they tend to toss out grants to most start ups.

Comment

I found a reference to MiniBar ages ago when doing some research.

I have never followed it up as my directions take me away from the UK.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by ribble View Post
                Whats your background?
                Technical background is BI/CRM/ERP/Data Warehousing/MIS

Primary business focus on Marketing & Sales Operations.

Looking for something around the BI / Marketing / Sales enablement.

To be honest, I'm not really that fussed about the money. I need something to get up for something motivating.

I think next year is the biggy.

Is there a key in to VC's somewhere. Is it a case of networking?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  I found a reference to MiniBar ages ago when doing some research.

I have never followed it up as my directions take me away from the UK.
                  Thanks HAB,

Girls there are some very cute guys at this! maybe we should move drinks venue

and I'm not saying that 'cause it's FREE
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Technical background is BI/CRM/ERP/Data Warehousing/MIS

Primary business focus on Marketing & Sales Operations.

Looking for something around the BI / Marketing / Sales enablement.

To be honest, I'm not really that fussed about the money. I need something to get up for something motivating.

I think next year is the biggy.

Is there a key in to VC's somewhere. Is it a case of networking?

Would you be prepared to work down in the South West or does it have to be London?

Comment

Working...
                    X