• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fair Tax System

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair Tax System

I'm in favour of a flat rate right across the board for freelancers; say 20%. No expenses, nothing. Then you'd just fill in a form once a year, pop a cheque in the post and sack your accountant. Save yourself 1.5k per year and countless hours doing tedious paperwork.

For once I actually agree with you in principle, but I'd go further and extend that to all tax. There's no good reason for it to be complicated, other than keeping accountants in work.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      I'm in favour of a flat rate right across the board for freelancers; say 20%. No expenses, nothing. Then you'd just fill in a form once a year, pop a cheque in the post and sack your accountant. Save yourself 1.5k per year and countless hours doing tedious paperwork.
      Any VAT?

What about any software sales / disbursements?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Any VAT?

What about any software sales / disbursements?
        That's easy to do yourself though

Comment

Not only do I agree - that was my idea !
          IR35 is fine except for the 5% allowance, permie benefits must be worth 30-50%, 20% looks very generous from us and we get to sleep at night...

Comment

What Bunk said, flat rate for every individual would be better, somewhere in the region of 10-15% for anyone earning over X (X being a bit higher than national average), zero for anyone below X

Corp rate should be the same

You might think that would lower tax revenue but so many would stop loopholeing or offshoring overall tax revenue would probably go up

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
              What Bunk said, flat rate for every individual would be better, somewhere in the region of 10-15% for anyone earning over X (X being a bit higher than national average), zero for anyone below X

Corp rate should be the same

You might think that would lower tax revenue but so many would stop loopholeing or offshoring overall tax revenue would probably go up
              Better still, don't tax income, tax expenditure...

Comment

A lot less government expenditure => a lot less need for tax (and for many of the poorest, none at all).
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Better still, don't tax income, tax expenditure...
                  That's what VAT is (and the old Sales Tax).

In NZ and Oz it's called GST, Goods and Services Tax because it's a tax on goods and services. Not too sure why it's called Value Added Tax here, where's the added value (as opposed to the added cost to the consumer)?

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    That's what VAT is (and the old Sales Tax).

In NZ and Oz it's called GST, Goods and Services Tax because it's a tax on goods and services. Not too sure why it's called Value Added Tax here, where's the added value (as opposed to the added cost to the consumer)?
                    Because if you don't add value, you don't have to charge it. Solicitors who pay fees for you don't add their own VAT on top.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X