• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to rid of skip?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to rid of skip?

Long story, but we had a very, very poor builder who we had to eventually get rid of - actually he left once the council failed the job, because he would have had to spend £7000 to put it all right.

Anyway, there's a skip in our front garden which he left there. The skip company is refusing to pick it up, because this builder owes them £400 for it. Of course, the builder isn't ever going to pay this.

So we're stuck with having to fork out £400 to get rid of this skip, which I'm very much p!ssed off about.

Do you have any (serious) suggestions on how I can get rid of this skip?

surely the skip still belongs to the skip company so it's their responsibility?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Start charging the skip company rent for the ground it's on.

I assume you don't have a contract with the skip company, and it's on your land.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        surely the skip still belongs to the skip company so it's their responsibility?
        Tell the skip company they have 28 days to remove their skip - failing that you'll sell the skip to another skip company for the amount it would cost to dispose of its contents.

Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Tell the skip company they have 28 days to remove their skip - failing that you'll sell the skip to another skip company for the amount it would cost to dispose of its contents.

Simples.
          It's doing my head in.

Actually this is what I thought, but I didn't know if it was legal (or whether another skip company would do this). Now I don't have a contract with said skip company, so legally I owe them nothing.

I just want it gone - but £400 is a lot of money. I might trying contacting another company as you suggest.

Comment

Can't the council sort them out.
            They've effectively left a skip full of rubbish on your property
            The skip belongs to them
            If they have no intention of moving it then it could be classed as fly tipping or some other illegal disposal of waste
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              It's doing my head in.

Actually this is what I thought, but I didn't know if it was legal (or whether another skip company would do this). Now I don't have a contract with said skip company, so legally I owe them nothing.

I just want it gone - but £400 is a lot of money. I might trying contacting another company as you suggest.
              Citizens advise centre, I am sure they have delt with this kind of stuff before. They should know what you should do to get it resolved quickly.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                It's doing my head in.

Just make sure that the original skip firm don't dump its contents on your lawn.

IANAL but the way I see it is...

You didn't order the skip the builder did, they should remove the skip and chase him for the money.

Comment

Advertise the space in The Prossie Murderers Weekly.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    Just make sure that the original skip firm don't dump its contents on your lawn.

IANAL but the way I see it is...

You didn't order the skip the builder did, they should remove the skip and chase him for the money.
                    And that's the way I see it too, but it's not the way the company sees it. They just want their £400 before they'll come pick it up. Bullying if you may.

Just found out that it's unlikely any other company will take the skip, because it could count as theft.

Comment

Working...
                    X