• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where does one stand in this situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where does one stand in this situation

Hope ive not posted in the wrong section!

I basically had a client and it was a good 6 month contract, or so it was meant to be.
    finally, had a decent length of a contract with decent money. However, I could not get on with one of the developers there, as he repetatively kept insulting me.

I wasn't given any paperwork, documents, project plan or anything at all. IT was litrally "sit there, and do it". Furthermore, no tools were given to do my task and instead, I got a warning about it which didn't make sense.

Then, my pay was cut! All because I kept asking questions about different things about the task at hand, which one is meant to do as there were no documents or anything given.

Then, again, more and more "you are rubbish" type of jabs from this other guy.
    IT was the last straw and I just left, handing in my badge. I only lasted a month - not good obviously.

Now, it wasnt just me having these issues but 2 perm staff of the company did also, long before me. One got a disciplinary action for doing her job of helping a new starter a couple of years ago!

What wrong have i done to deserve this? I mean, my confidence is seriously knocked both personally and professionally. I am just wondering where do I stand here? I DO NOT want to work with them again, or even set foot in the office again.

I did my best, but they werent helping me to help them.

Thanks folks!

I don't think there is much you can do, to be honest. That contract is gone and you ave to tell yourself that you were not rubbish and just move on.

For future ref you should
    a) not mention this problem in any future contracts
    b) make sure you have a clear statement of what you are supposed to do before signing another one
    c) if problems arise with lack of requirements, tools etc. speak to the organ grinder and not his monkey. If you are told you shouldn't have done this feign ignorance and apologise. The point will have been made/registered.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Zippy; 6 June 2010, 23:14.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

thanks for the speedy response. I appreciate that.
      just dreading the phone calls that may be heading my way tomorrow.

it just doesn't make any sense. I'm just confused totally. already hard finding a contract, and when you do.... this happens. sods law!

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
        thanks for the speedy response. I appreciate that.
        just dreading the phone calls that may be heading my way tomorrow.

it just doesn't make any sense. I'm just confused totally. already hard finding a contract, and when you do.... this happens. sods law!
        Ah. I suppose you'll have to deal with the agent. It's a business transaction, it didn't work out, end of. Don't argue with it even if s/he tries to pull the guilt/unprofessional thing on you.
        If the client calls, simply state the facts - no tools, no plan and it wasn't going to work. But please do keep calm and don't directly insult the other developer. Even if he is a dickhead.

Leave this gig off your cv - you've been "on holiday".
        I've been lucky with my contracts but the first was a political 'mare. You can get over this.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

thanks.
          im a very professional person, who is also a mentor and a personal developer, so i deal with things properly and calmly but firm. thanks for the reassurance.

Comment

I've seen a few companies that run projects in this way. It's some bullsh1t American management method. People who've not experienced it, it can often be seen on TV with these shows where they build cars or motorbikes. They have one or two chosen stars, everyone else gets insulted constantly. Most often the chosen stars aren't at all good either. Don't worry about it. Although for future reference, when I see this model I go back to the agent for extra 'stress money', and to pay for tools, i.e. they're wanting skills and equipment from me extra to the contract. If they won't cough up, I tell them I will walk, I ain't no charidee. IIRC I only had one company where I walked completely, but that was more probably me not giving them the time to sort themselves out.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Then, my pay was cut
              Half way through a contract? If they try to get nasty with you, they breached their side first.
              Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Hope ive not posted in the wrong section!

I basically had a client and it was a good 6 month contract, or so it was meant to be.
                finally, had a decent length of a contract with decent money. However, I could not get on with one of the developers there, as he repetatively kept insulting me.

I wasn't given any paperwork, documents, project plan or anything at all. IT was litrally "sit there, and do it". Furthermore, no tools were given to do my task and instead, I got a warning about it which didn't make sense.

Then, my pay was cut! All because I kept asking questions about different things about the task at hand, which one is meant to do as there were no documents or anything given.

Then, again, more and more "you are rubbish" type of jabs from this other guy.
                IT was the last straw and I just left, handing in my badge. I only lasted a month - not good obviously.

Now, it wasnt just me having these issues but 2 perm staff of the company did also, long before me. One got a disciplinary action for doing her job of helping a new starter a couple of years ago!

What wrong have i done to deserve this? I mean, my confidence is seriously knocked both personally and professionally. I am just wondering where do I stand here? I DO NOT want to work with them again, or even set foot in the office again.

I did my best, but they werent helping me to help them.

Thanks folks!
                How many years have you been contracting? If quite a few, when the pimp calls, you can take the "In all my years of contracting ...." stance. No plan, no tools, no courtesy, no leadership. Take comfort in the knowledge they will get found out. They always do. I've seen it done. The drums of the management consultants will be beating louder and louder. Then one day they will turn up to "audit" said project. That bunch of cowboys will get tulipcanned quicker than you can say yeeeehaaaaaw.

Truly HTH

SY01
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

lol

thanks folks. really appreciate this. yes, ive been contracting for quite sometime and know all about this and what makes a good project/management but this other guy..he has a little more experience but its not about the years, its about the intensity and mindset i guess. but still either way, there is no need to insult or give jabs. they want a task done, i can do it but i need to consult and when i consult, i get jabs.

its their loss. they expect any new comer to just "get it". litrally, but it doesnt work like that.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    I've seen a few companies that run projects in this way. It's some bullsh1t American management method. People who've not experienced it, it can often be seen on TV with these shows where they build cars or motorbikes. They have one or two chosen stars, everyone else gets insulted constantly. Most often the chosen stars aren't at all good either.
                    This reminds me of "Dirty Den" in Fort Boyard

Boyard (played by Leslie Grantham in series 1-4 and Christopher Ellison in series 5) is the Master Of The Fort, who sets the challenges the team must follow to win. In the UK versions of the show, he is portrayed as a selfish, commanding and evil person who takes great pleasure in ensuring that fear and failure plague the contestants, although Grantham portrayed these traits slightly more strongly, with Ellison sometimes showing sympathy, or even being generous to the contestants.
                    The insults Dirty Den hurled would have had me smacking him in the teeth. I never understood how the contestants put up with it.

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    Don't worry about it.
                    What he said. It's bullying. You are best putting this unfortunate episode behind you.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X