• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Last 'Great Escape' survivor dies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last 'Great Escape' survivor dies

A Scot who is believed to be the last survivor of the "Great Escape" from a German prisoner of war camp has died, at the age of 97.

The mass escape from Stalag Luft III was an astonishing achievement, the tragic consequences of which could not have been foreseen by those who undertook it. The ingenuity and resourcefulness of the Allied PoWs involved still stand as a lesson to us all.

If all you know of it comes from that film with Steve McQueen on a motor bicycle (a scene which never happened in reality), I exhort you to find out more, whether from PoW Paul Brickhill's book (on which the film is based to the extent that Hollywood would allow it to be) or from one of the other books on the subject that have since been published.

Ave atque vale to Jack Harrison and his comrades.
    Last edited by NickFitz; 8 June 2010, 02:14. Reason: Mentioning that Paul Brickhill was himself a PoW in Stalag Luft III

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A Scot who is believed to be the last survivor of the "Great Escape" from a German prisoner of war camp has died, at the age of 97.

The mass escape from Stalag Luft III was an astonishing achievement, the tragic consequences of which could not have been foreseen by those who undertook it. The ingenuity and resourcefulness of the Allied PoWs involved still stand as a lesson to us all.

If all you know of it comes from that film with Steve McQueen on a motor bicycle (a scene which never happened in reality), I exhort you to find out more, whether from PoW Paul Brickhill's book (on which the film is based to the extent that Hollywood would allow it to be) or from one of the other books on the subject that have since been published.

Ave atque vale to Jack Harrison and his comrades.

"Bud Ekin"

Shirley?

Comment

If you ever get the chance, and are at a loose end in eastern Germany (i.e. Leipzig/Chemnitz direction), I thoroughly recommend a trip to Colditz. Truly fascinating what some of the inmates managed to get up to. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Today's crop would be stabbing each other for their Red Cross parcels.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It must be one of the ironies that he survived because he didn't escape.

Comment

I enjoyed the bit when Dickie Attenborough realises he was about to get shot.

Comment

I was very disappointed that they didn't get to use the Gingham Glider to escape from Colditz.

Comment

Theyt better burn him - putting him under ground there is no telling where he'll turn up!
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
              X