• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Holiday - How Much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor Holiday - How Much

I am for (no real reason) interested in reading what amount of holiday fellow contractors are taking - in my current gig I will have taken 22 days holiday in the first 12 month period (excl B/Hs), and am planning around the same for the next 12 months. And clientco has no objections when I book the time off.

In my previous gig, I took only 8 days holiday in 18 months, partly because my boss was a d*ck and hated contractors and would never let me take time off (upside £££s), and so I didn't renew at the time - history now anyway.

So, who takes what holiday - is the former generous, the latter tight, or somewhere in between ?

take my hols when out of contract, as you say ££££ is the factor to be considered.

Comment

I'll take holidays while in a contract. Life is too short to put them off purely for cash. However, I work away during the week so this also helps make up family time for me. The other issue is that I find it hard to relax when not in contract as I feel I should be looking for work.

You just can't win

Comment

For me, as I have 2 little kiddies, it is important to have my work life balance and not always about the money - hence my initial question out of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          For me, as I have 2 little kiddies, it is important to have my work life balance and not always about the money - hence my initial question out of interest.
          I fully understand. I find it hard being away from the little one (only 9 months old). on the plus side, I am able to some sleep

Are you working away?

Comment

I had a holiday over a year ago.

I don't really think about them when I'm in a contract. But may have to consider summat this year.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I seem to only ever find contracts which involve me staying away during the week
              So I take holidays. I take a week at Easter, two weeks at Christmas, the odd long weekend and I tend not to work in August.
              I promised my daughter a long time ago, that I would always have August with her and I look forward to it.
              One of the reasons I like contracting is that I can take more time off - I let clientoco know well in advance and they are always fine with it.
              However bench time is just frustrating
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Work is a holiday for me

This week for example, turned up yesterday just before 11:00 and left at 17:00 without taxing myself, went for a nice meal. Today turned up at 9:00 and left at 17:00, went out for a nice meal. Tomorrow will go in early and leave early to drive down to Köln where I shall go out into the town for the 2 nights for a couple of beers and anice meal in nice weather. On Monday and Tuesday I shall do the same thing in Köln after which I shall then drive up to Münster where Frau D. will meet me on Thursday and we'll go out in the evenings for a nice meal and beer before heading back home on Saturday, possibly doing a spot of sightseeing. The weather will be nice and I'm sure I won't be working too hard. (Admittedly today could have been a bit busier as I was meant to go down to Siegerland to visit a propsective customer but knocked it on the head for another day.)

Holidays, bah, just give me the moolah although I was actually on one contract where the manager was a bit concerned as I was the only person in 2 years who didn't take a holiday while doing numerous projects for different clients and tried to force me into one out of concern for my health until I pointed out that living in a hotel, eating out each night in a country foreign to me was pretty much like a holiday especially as work was interesting and not taxing.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Worst year ever for holidays this one. Benched for the first two, then contracted up until end of July.

So taking 5 days in a caravan in Dorset with family, inlaws and brother in laws family(!!!!!! A Bloody Caravan!!!!!!!!)

Then thats it!!!

5 Bloody days!!!!!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    .................taking 5 days in a caravan...................
                    <Sits down and patiently waits for the punch line.................>

Comment

Working...
                    X