• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

X Factor Scrutiny

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X Factor Scrutiny

Interesting "post-taco" chit chat last night included a seething attack on Mick Jagger from my father in law. "Useless", "can't sing" were among the retorts. I obviously "you-tubed" some tracks for study, and did notice that he did miss notes IF you gave it that X Factor style scrutiny.

Which set me thinking, since the dawn of such TV shows, are we now much more picky about the standard of modern singers, and if so, which "classic" and "hall of fame" type singers of days gone by would most likely fall on their arses in the first round of X Factor?

(Sorry Mr Jagger)
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Interesting "post-taco" chit chat last night included a seething attack on Mick Jagger from my father in law. "Useless", "can't sing" were among the retorts. I obviously "you-tubed" some tracks for study, and did notice that he did miss notes IF you gave it that X Factor style scrutiny.

Which set me thinking, since the dawn of such TV shows, are we now much more picky about the standard of modern singers, and if so, which "classic" and "hall of fame" type singers of days gone by would most likely fall on their arses in the first round of X Factor?

(Sorry Mr Jagger)
    Mick Jagger knows his limitations, so generally only sings within his range and because of the chosen styles you don't tend to notice the mistakes.

People are getting really picky. Lots of people walked out of the Whitney Houston concerts the other weekend, complaining that she couldn't sing. Yet most artists in the charts nowadays are using devices to clean up their voice, so one should either expect less than a studio CD or be prepared to put up with a mime.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      Mick Jagger knows his limitations, so generally only sings within his range and because of the chosen styles you don't tend to notice the mistakes.

People are getting really picky. Lots of people walked out of the Whitney Houston concerts the other weekend, complaining that she couldn't sing. Yet most artists in the charts nowadays are using devices to clean up their voice, so one should either expect less than a studio CD or be prepared to put up with a mime.
      And will anyone give a tulip if he gets killed by a falling tree?

If there's a tree falling in a forest and crushes a mime, does it make a sound? - Yahoo! Answers

Comment

Most of them I expect. That's why X Factor and their ilk will only ever turn out soulless dross.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm off to watch the x factor auditions tonight, or rather I'm off to watch Cheryl Cole tonight at the x factor auditions.

Comment

And yes, the stones were dross, they are the New Labour of rock. A bunch of public school boys that are trying to pretend they can get down with the working class.

From that pretentious poetry pish in the park to Ruby Tuesday which rivals Saturday Night by wigfield for crapness, they truly sold something to this nation that is rank and the nation still loves them for it.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I'm off to watch the x factor auditions tonight, or rather I'm off to watch Cheryl Cole tonight at the x factor auditions.
              I hope you're not sitting by the curtains.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

And yes, the stones were dross, they are the New Labour of rock. A bunch of public school boys that are trying to pretend they can get down with the working class.

From that pretentious poetry pish in the park to Ruby Tuesday which rivals Saturday Night by wigfield for crapness, they truly sold something to this nation that is rank and the nation still loves them for it.
                You stick with your "Bay City Rollers" then.

Btw, you're SOL with regards to Cheryl Cole, she's only into big ugly black guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  You stick with your "Bay City Rollers" then.

Btw, you're SOL with regards to Cheryl Cole, she's only into big ugly black guys.
                  Do you not have a scorpions album in your collection? Brian Adams as well?

Comment

Do you not have a scorpions album in your collection? Brian Adams as well?
                    No I don't. But hey, don't let my emphatic denial stop you from translating that to a "yes".

Comment

Working...
                    X