• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The reason we need a Capital punishment option

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason we need a Capital punishment option

beggars belief

Sarah Payne's murderer Roy Whiting has had his 50-year jail term reduced by 10 years by a High Court judge.
    When will we get life means life sentencing or the option to remove the offenders from the planet

bed wetting hand-wringing Guardian reading apologists please explain how you would feel if it was your child
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

He is 51.

In 40 years time he will be rabbit food.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      beggars belief

When will we get life means life sentencing or the option to remove the offenders from the planet

bed wetting hand-wringing Guardian reading apologists please explain how you would feel if it was your child
      We can't afford to keep people inside for life anymore. As they get older they need to be taken to see doctors etc. Lots of man power required, this really racks up's the Group 4 bill.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        We can't afford to keep people inside for life anymore. As they get older they need to be taken to see doctors etc. Lots of man power required, this really racks up's the Group 4 bill.
        good string 'em all up and save money - I'll suggest it to Dave
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Couldn't agree less AP. Life should mean life for these villains. Simples

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            please explain how you would feel if it was your child
            I think I'd be far too biased to have a constructive opinion.

Comment

I think a pragmatic approach should be applied in this case. When he's eligible for parole (c age 80) he will most likely not be a danger to society any more.

If he'd been convicted today, he would be in prison for the rest of his life (assuming the ECHR doesn't rule that whole life terms are a bad thing).
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                When he's eligible for parole (c age 80) he will most likely not be a danger to society any more.
                Absolutely disagree. As a paedophile, he will always be a danger to society in some way or another.

But it's also about the sentence reflecting the crime - this didn't in the first place IMO.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  Absolutely disagree. As a paedophile, he will always be a danger to society in some way or another.

But it's also about the sentence reflecting the crime - this didn't in the first place IMO.
                  The tariff system has been removed now*, as people generally don't like the idea of people "being out in x years", but the fact is he won't be let out if he's a danger.

Anyway, there will probably be an easy chemical cure for paedophilia in 40 years time.

And flying cars. And a global meltdown. And a new world order. And crisps that taste of banana and marmite. And retinal screen implants.

* minimum sentences can still apply, but they call it something else. I forget what.
                  Last edited by Moscow Mule; 9 June 2010, 14:12.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    The tariff system has been removed now, as people generally don't like the idea of people "being out in x years", but the fact is he won't be let out if he's a danger.

Anyway, there will probably be an easy chemical cure for paedophilia in 40 years time.

And flying cars. And a global meltdown. And a new world order. And crisps that taste of banana and marmite. And retinal screen implants.
                    We already have marmite crisps doncha know.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X