• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT strike looms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT strike looms

Thousands of BT Group staff are almost certain to go on strike next month after their union rejected the company's last ditch attempt to avert its first walk out in almost a quarter of a century. The Communication Workers Union, which represents more than 50,000 BT employees, yesterday dismissed the company's new offer and accused Britain's largest telecoms company of "blatant double standards".

BT's blue-collar workers are angry that they have been offered a below-inflation pay rise, while some senior executives have been granted increases in excess of 7pc.
    Couldn't happen to a nicer company.

The CWU has warned that the first national strike since 1987 could leave thousands of households and businesses without a working phone line or broadband access, because the majority of its members work as engineers or in call centres dealing with faults.
    Not exactly what's required to help rebuild the economy, eh?
    Last edited by Sysman; 9 June 2010, 14:00.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Union coffers are going to be empty before this recession ends. Well before by the looks of it.

Comment

I've noticed very few competent BT engineers and very few folks in UK call centres.

Who are these people that the CWU represents? And will anyone notice if they go on strike?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Just wait until the public sector morons go out.

Rubbish in the streets, dead unburied.

It'll be like 1979 again.

Or deja vu.
        But haven't a load of things like rubbish collection been farmed out to private companies?

Oh look. Public sector goes on strike, nobody notices inconvenienced, people notice this and wonder what the public sector actually does
        Last edited by Sysman; 9 June 2010, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          But haven't a load of things like rubbish collection been farmed out to private companies?

Oh look. Public sector goes on strike, nobody notices inconvenienced, people notice this and wonder what the public sector actually does
          The fkrs still have a public sector mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post

Public sector strikes are fine by me, they can take as much unpaid time off as they like
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I heard chat that this might cause problems with internet, might just be saber rattling though.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                I heard chat that this might cause problems with internet, might just be saber rattling though.
                Like I said, not good for the economy. A BT strike could have far worse consequences than your bins not getting emptied.

Comment

Virgin Media, the way forward.

Cable to the door, not a BT line rental in sight.

Let me know if you need my details for a referral discount. :-)
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                    Virgin Media, the way forward.

Cable to the door, not a BT line rental in sight.

Let me know if you need my details for a referral discount. :-)
                    Too right. Just hope it doesn't go wrong tho!

Comment

Working...
                    X