• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here's one for the rivet counter(s).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's one for the rivet counter(s).

Trevithick's locomotive replica:

BBC - Swansea goes loco with replica

Samuel Homfray bet rival ironmaster Richard Crawshay 500 guineas that the locomotive would pull a train of wagons loaded with 10 tons of iron to the canal basin at Abercynon, and return.

The locomotive succeeded but Crawshay apparently refused to pay because the track had to be moved slightly in one place, and the locomotive needed slight repairs before returning to Merthyr.
    Typical of Crawshay to welsh on a bet.

No wonder they buried the bastard under an iron "gravestone".

They say "ten tonnes" at the start and "10 tons" at the end

Leaving aside the fact that tonnes != tons, don't the BBC have a style guide that dictates whether it should be "ten" or "10"?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      They say "ten tonnes" at the start and "10 tons" at the end

Leaving aside the fact that tonnes != tons, don't the BBC have a style guide that dictates whether it should be "ten" or "10"?
      <> (ANSI)

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        <> (ANSI)
        ANSI C

Comment

Deltics in the news

Morning everyone.

Here's one for you Zeity, an ITN news report on the last Deltic on the Kings Cross - Edinburgh run. Never got pulled by a Deltic myself but have cabbed one or two. Not wanting to blow my own trumpet but I am in the crowd on this video!Link

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
            Morning everyone.

Here's one for you Zeity, an ITN news report on the last Deltic on the Kings Cross - Edinburgh run. Never got pulled by a Deltic myself but have cabbed one or two. Not wanting to blow my own trumpet but I am in the crowd on this video!Link
            Gimpy - You were once one of a crowd???

Wow who'd a thunk it?

PS Morning

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              Gimpy - You were once one of a crowd???

Wow who'd a thunk it?

PS Morning
              Still am. I'm a member of the Peak Army.

Comment

Still am. I'm a member of the Peak Army.
                Are you pretty indistinguishable in that too?

Gimpy - third from the left...... seventh row...... just behind the fat bloke..... you can just see his kagule.... Oh No! thats not him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                  Are you pretty indistinguishable in that too?

Gimpy - third from the left...... seventh row...... just behind the fat bloke..... you can just see his kagule.... Oh No! thats not him!!!
                  Second row, next to the bloke with the bow tie. Was taken a few years ago!

link

Comment

Second row, next to the bloke with the bow tie. Was taken a few years ago!

link
                    Nah! You are back row, extreme left "near" the bloke in the white teeshirt......

Comment

Working...
                    X