• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Contract Experience - Any Advice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Contract Experience - Any Advice?

Hi All,

I am working on a contract for a Large Blue Chip Org, in a project environment.

It turns out our Project Manager is going to lose her job and is being driven to deliver via lots of pressure. In the process we are working 14 hour days and weekends and are run into the ground, As she is so desperate we are all suffering as a consequence our lives are made a misery. At best the deliverable we be half cocked and poor quality and as contractors we depend on a good reference to go on to another job - so just handing in a notice will guarantee a crap reference and a black list to this company for future work.

Any advice?

cheers

Originally posted by ContractorNW View Post
    Hi All,

I am working on a contract for a Large Blue Chip Org, in a project environment.

It turns out our Project Manager is going to lose her job and is being driven to deliver via lots of pressure. In the process we are working 14 hour days and weekends and are run into the ground, As she is so desperate we are all suffering as a consequence our lives are made a misery. At best the deliverable we be half cocked and poor quality and as contractors we depend on a good reference to go on to another job - so just handing in a notice will guarantee a crap reference and a black list to this company for future work.

Any advice?

cheers
    Stick it out. Your PM's problems are not yours (remember she's the one who is getting the boot, not you). Try to get any strange directions in an email, keep copies offsite and keep your head down. It's extremely unlikely you'll be given a crap reference if you stay with the project.
    Do the others feel the same? Could you get together and express your concerns about the long days and quality (in a polite and non-threatening way)? Give specific examples of where it is going wrong though - nobody likes a whinger. Go out after work and get pissed, chat about the work with your colleagues and let off some steam?

SY01 may be able to offer a different perspective on this.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

we all feel like this.....sticking it out is hard..... had a number of resignations already, 2 side ways moves, 2 people off with stress.

We are coming to work each day feeling sick.

and this is the bad thing about contracting - you have to stick it out......

Comment

and this is the bad thing about contracting - you have to stick it out......
        I hope the upside is that you're being paid hourly for all those extra hours. Think of the money

Comment

No no no. You've got this wrong.

You're in control. Your contract will be for a fixed day or hourly rate. If you are doing 14 hour days, you should be getting paid for it.

If you are not, there is where you can negotiate or put your foot down.

You must think that you are in control. Because you are! You need to detach yourself mentally from what is going on around you. If your colleagues are contractors, then basically you're not going to work with them again after this project. If the PM is taking a kicking, then help her, but at the end of the day she is on her own and should she fail someone else will take her place.

Dont get involved in internal politics or taking sides, unless you are very very experienced at it. Most contractors will stick their heads down and try and avoid confrontation or politics. It can pay dividends to take it on but you need to be damn sure.

Whats the deal with your rate?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No one dare give anyone a bad reference (at least on the record) these days so I wouldn't worry about that. Most large organisations won't give anything beyond a confirmation that you were there. That said, it may be better to stick it out, but don't do stuff that ruins your life. Telling myself I can walk out at any time is one of the things that stops me doing it.

I have never seen a black list anywhere - in fact I had to remind two of my bosses at previous permie jobs when people applied that we had worked with them before and they were useless. Even if you do get blacklisted (and I'd bet the entire National Debt you won't) at that clientco - is it really a disaster not to get any more work at tulipco?
            Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 9 June 2010, 20:23.

Comment

Never had a reference. Never needed one. This is in ten years of contracting.

Top tip: go home after 8 hours each day. Just hold your head high and say "goodbye!"

Funny thing is they may respect you more for this.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

thanks all

really appreciate the comments

my rate is daily and its 25% what I usually get as the stealing b@stard agency told me these are the rates due to the credit crunch - take it or leave it - and my contract says I need to work till the I end of my contract (I cant give notice) !!!! which make me feel trapped.

My contract sates I need to work a professional working day !!!!!!!

When I got the job I found their was no credit crunch.

Crap contract > crap rate > under resourced. Juts darn unlucky.

I think I will be going early. Piss' me off I have to sit in an interview justifying my PM experience and quals and other 'clever, run of the mill' questions from the interviewing for dummies book- only to find I am told to throw that out and fire-fight trying to keep my permy employee boss in a job so I can be told thanks very much and goodbye......which I know someone here is gonna say 'thats contracting think of the £££'s' but I do set out to a good job I can be proud of - not prop up some useless permy ass kisser who has not got a clue

Can you tell I have had few beers since my last post
                Last edited by ContractorNW; 9 June 2010, 21:10.

Comment

Yes, but you need to let off some steam sometimes. I'm sure the feeling that you can't change the situation is worse than the situation about the rate.
                  Some tulipe to consider
                  - a professional working day is usually 7-8 hours. Beyond that you are doing them a favour.
                  - fire-fighting is not nice but you do have to do it sometimes
                  - thanks and goodbye is how it goes in contractorville. Feel proud you did as good a job as you could, in the time you were there.
                  - get another job before walking if possible. How much longer do you have to go??
                  - wherever you go there will be a clueless permie (or contractor). Sorry.
                  - as others have said, don't worry about the references
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

thanks all

really appreciate the comments

my rate is daily and its 25% what I usually get as the stealing b@stard agency told me these are the rates due to the credit crunch - take it or leave it - and my contract says I need to work till the I end of my contract (I cant give notice) !!!! which make me feel trapped.

My contract sates I need to work a professional working day !!!!!!!

When I got the job I found their was no credit crunch.

Crap contract > crap rate > under resourced. Juts darn unlucky.

I think I will be going early. Piss' me off I have to sit in an interview justifying my PM experience and quals and other 'clever, run of the mill' questions from the interviewing for dummies book- only to find I am told to throw that out and fire-fight trying to keep my permy employee boss in a job so I can be told thanks very much and goodbye......which I know someone here is gonna say 'thats contracting think of the £££'s' but I do set out to a good job I can be proud of - not prop up some useless permy ass kisser who has not got a clue

No worries.

Mate this is easy. You hate the role, you're on a crap rate, so you're probably best out of it. You cannot give notice.

So firstly, come 5pm, you go home. Simple as. If they don't like it. Tough. If they really don't like it, you are out of a contract. Simple

Or, don't turn up or go sick. Trust me, the agency will bin you ASAP. Again simple.

Whatever you do, don't get yourself in a tizzy and keep working the extra hours. Sounds like you're better off without it.

Good luck!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X