• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harwell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harwell

Anyone ever worked there? What goes on in there. There used to be an urban myth about a slip road off the M4 signposted Works Traffic Only which led to some kind of nuclear silo. IIRC that led up to where Harwell is located now.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Anyone ever worked there? What goes on in there. There used to be an urban myth about a slip road off the M4 signposted Works Traffic Only which led to some kind of nuclear silo. IIRC that led up to where Harwell is located now.
    Both my parents worked at Harwell for years. My Dad was a nuclear chemist. We lived in Harwell village when I was a kid. Did all my courting in the orchards round there. Marvellous days!
    No slip road off M4.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_woo View Post
      Both my parents worked at Harwell for years. My Dad was a nuclear chemist. We lived in Harwell village when I was a kid. Did all my courting in the orchards round there. Marvellous days!
      No slip road off M4.
      The Works Unit Only sign must be a little bit before there then. Another theory was that it was a nuclear bunker for the Royal Family.

Comment

Atomic Energy Research Establishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Saw a couple of very well paying infosec roles in Oxfordshire the other day. Is your post related?
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            Saw a couple of very well paying infosec roles in Oxfordshire the other day. Is your post related?
            No, DBA role

Comment

The "secret" sliproad is for RAF Welford, which IIRC used to be USAF Welford. Nothing to do with (or anywhere near) Harwell.

Google Maps
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                The "secret" sliproad is for RAF Welford, which IIRC used to be USAF Welford. Nothing to do with (or anywhere near) Harwell.

Google Maps
                Bloody Google. Can't keep anything secret these days, eh zeity?

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                  It's only a myth if it isn't true: Works unit only sign.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Google Maps
                  WHS. It's a munitions depot, not an airfield, and was one of the places the USAF stored their nukes.

Comment

Google maps doesn't let you turn left!

Comment

Working...
                    X