• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People behind me calling themselves ‘The A Team’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People behind me calling themselves ‘The A Team’

Oh dear. I’ve seen lots of puerile, macho madness in the IT business in my time, but this takes the biscuit. The gang of admins behind me are now calling themselves ‘The A Team’ and have just announced that they can solve any problem for anyone anytime, and they 'don't even need a black guy with a van’.

I remember giggling when some small guy told me he was my ‘scrum master’. I’ve smirked as project managers have ordered me into ‘the war room’. I laughed out loud when another PM told me he was moving the whole project to a ‘skunk works’ in the next building.

What makes short, fat, weedy little office geeks that barely have the physical strength to lift a fully fledged mug of coffee think they’re smart if they use ridiculous military, sporting or film analogies for their boring little button pressing exercises?

Come on people, what we do is the wimpiest, softest, safest and most comfortable job on earth. We sit behind a computer telling it to do stuff we can’t be bothered to do for ourselves. It involves no physical effort, pain, risk or courage whatsoever. Don’t call yourselves the ‘A Team’ or I’ll be tempted to hire a big black guy with a Mohican haircut to come and kick the tulip out of you.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh dear. I’ve seen lots of puerile, macho madness in the IT business in my time, but this takes the biscuit. The gang of admins behind me are now calling themselves ‘The A Team’ and have just announced that they can solve any problem for anyone anytime, and they 'don't even need a black guy with a van’.

I remember giggling when some small guy told me he was my ‘scrum master’. I’ve smirked as project managers have ordered me into ‘the war room’. I laughed out loud when another PM told me he was moving the whole project to a ‘skunk works’ in the next building.

What makes short, fat, weedy little office geeks that barely have the physical strength to lift a fully fledged mug of coffee think they’re smart if they use ridiculous military, sporting or film analogies for their boring little button pressing exercises?

Come on people, what we do is the wimpiest, softest, safest and most comfortable job on earth. We sit behind a computer telling it to do stuff we can’t be bothered to do for ourselves. It involves no physical effort, pain, risk or courage whatsoever. Don’t call yourselves the ‘A Team’ or I’ll be tempted to hire a big black guy with a Mohican haircut to come and kick the tulip out of you.
    LOL.

Tell them to come and post on here. We've got a bloke with a Tornado!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Good rant 7/10.
      I'm part of the SAS, don't you know.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Good rant 7/10.
        I'm part of the SAS, don't you know.
        A Trolly Dolly no doubt.......

Comment

It is very silly. "Warchest" is another one. The only time I actually intervened to stop it was when a PM started referring to the date for installing a call centre software upgrade as "D-day" and I thought a sense of perspective might be helpful.

Comment

The lack of a good, generation decimating, war, being bought up on Commando comic and a general feeling of inadequacy when compared against the bravery of fathers & grandfathers.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I see what you've done here Mich. Very subtle.

You're having a dig at HAB who posted this thread earlier.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-together.html

I bet he's howling mad!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Oh well, I have to go to a ‘scrum’ now to laugh at a bunch of chronically obese people claiming to be ‘agile’.

It’s sad.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

They have a team at my clientco called the "smart" team (name of the application they're impelementing), an oxymoron if ever there was one!
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    They have a team at my clientco called the "smart" team (name of the application they're impelementing), an oxymoron if ever there was one!
                    Nobody ever names their software "Bag of old toss". Funny old thing, gives plenty of scope for morons (oxy or otherwise)
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X