• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Father's Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father's Day

Almost at my wits end, trying to think of something to buy my father.

He's in his 90s, and pretty alert and spry, but isn't interested in any of the conventional fathers day type things like golf or bottles of booze.

However, one thing I know does interest him is his investments. So I wondered if there's a well-regarded Windows program, or market leader, in monitoring investments and stocks and shares and such like in real time, displaying summaries and graphs of the results.

Any ideas peeps? I'll pay up to two or three hundred, but I'm not looking for a fuilly-blown trading system or anything too complicated.

(As I said, this program must run on Windows.)

TIA
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by Drewster
    For £300 I'll give you a dead simple idea.......
    I hope I'll still want one of those when I'm 90.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I hope I'll still want one of those when I'm 90.
      I knew that'd be misunderstood..... hence the deletion!

Comment

I get my dad a sub to The Oldie. I've no idea if they do investment advice but he has won a few bottles of nice whisky for contributing articles/poems to them.

Comment

Hmm, not exactly wading through loads of suggestions for an Investment Management Package.

So instead I've decided to get him a tip-top satnav for his car, and UK & Europe road maps to go with it.

(any recommendations?)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

No idea if he uses it already or not by the TrustNet site is worth a look if you want to track investments but not go for a full on trading package.

It's got loads of tools for portfolio management, charting, performance tracking etc.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Blimey OwlHoot - your old man sounds like he's on the ball. Mine loves golf so could we swap dads?
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                He's in his 90s, ... one thing I know does interest him is his investments.
                Is he saving up for his old age?
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 11 June 2010, 19:47.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I've got some great Father Days gifts (obviously not share related).

It's annoying. I stock a range of Football Coasters. Met a lady at a craft fair who is 75. She has a collection of 1950's and 1960's football programs. She makes her own coaster sets.

Scans in the images. Changes them in photo shop. Imports Italian wall tiles. Backs them with fine cork. Prints to a special drink proof, heat proof covering and produces the most incredible sets. She does every team apart from Millwall(for some reason!).

£20 a set. Cannot be found on the internet(she doesnt allow advertising)! Pain I can't advertise them!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I've got some great Father Days gifts (obviously not share related).

It's annoying. I stock a range of Football Coasters. Met a lady at a craft fair who is 75. She has a collection of 1950's and 1960's football programs. She makes her own coaster sets.

Scans in the images. Changes them in photo shop. Imports Italian wall tiles. Backs them with fine cork. Prints to a special drink proof, heat proof covering and produces the most incredible sets. She does every team apart from Millwall(for some reason!).

£20 a set. Cannot be found on the internet(she doesnt allow advertising)! Pain I can't advertise them!
                    Thats a shame - that you can't advertise the "Hand Made Football Coasters made from Italian wall tiles" that you sell in your shop on the internet....
                    Imagine if you could advertise the "Hand Made Football Coasters made from Italian wall tiles" that you sell in your shop on the internet....
                    Then if people used the term "Hand Made Football Coasters made from Italian wall tiles" in something like a search engine they might be led to your shop that sells "Hand Made Football Coasters made from Italian wall tiles" and might even be able to buy "Hand Made Football Coasters made from Italian wall tiles" from your shop...... Shame that!

Comment

Working...
                    X