• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day trip to York on Saturday...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day trip to York on Saturday...

Any ideas what to do?

Taking the train to spend all day there with the Missus.

Please include somewhere 'nice' for lunch (also breakfast as we're going early).

Comedic comments also welcome.

Ta

Tone

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Any ideas what to do?

Taking the train to spend all day there with the Missus.

Please include somewhere 'nice' for lunch (also breakfast as we're going early).

Comedic comments also welcome.

Ta

Tone
    Wandering through the shops (The Shambles) always goes down well with MrsD..... lots of "Quaint", "Different" and "Individual" ones apparently........

To be fair - I quite like a wander as well........

Loads of nice places to eat.....

Betty's is the stereotype "Tea Shop"..........

If you were like GimpyBoy I think they have a bloody great Train Museum.....
    The Yorvik is.... well there - I don't think its that impressive......
    Loads of good pubs..... many of which do decent food as well.......

Comment

If you are gonna be there late enough, the ghost hunt that starts from the shambles about half 7 is pretty entertaining.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

What to do in York? What a silly question! Go to the National Railway museum it's a great day out. Even to the layman there's plenty of interst; there Sir Nigel Gresley, a mallard class loco from the 1930s which was the fastes thing on wheels at the time reaching speeds of 126.4 mph and the experimental APT unit - a gas turbined super fast bog unit that travelled at 170 mph.

I see you're going by train? What line are you going to use. Let me know if I can be any help in planning your itinerary - I know some nice little branch line routes in that neck of the woods that may make your journey more interesting.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
          If you were like GimpyBoy I think they have a bloody great Train Museum.....
          Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          What to do in York? What a silly question! Go to the National Railway museum
          Tulip!! I am becoming GimpyBoy

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
            What to do in York? What a silly question! Go to the National Railway museum it's a great day out. Even to the layman there's plenty of interst; there Sir Nigel Gresley, a mallard class loco from the 1930s which was the fastes thing on wheels at the time reaching speeds of 126.4 mph and the experimental APT unit - a gas turbined super fast bog unit that travelled at 170 mph.
            Oh dear. The Sir Nigel Gresley (which had a top speed of 112mph) is in daily operation on the North Yorkshire Moors railway, so you'd need good eyesight to see it from the museum!

The Mallad that was in the museum was moved this week, so there is no Mallard to see in York these days. That said, the museum is very interesting and is free.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              Betty's is a mediocre and expensive "Tea Shop"..........
              FTFY
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Oh dear. The Sir Nigel Gresley (which had a top speed of 112mph) is in daily operation on the North Yorkshire Moors railway, so you'd need good eyesight to see it from the museum!

The Mallad that was in the museum was moved this week, so there is no Mallard to see in York these days. That said, the museum is very interesting and is free.
                Is LNER Class A3 No. 4472 (the most famous loco in the world) still there?

Comment

I seem to remember a Viking Centre? Was good when I was 10.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    FTFY
                    FAQ

Hello Where have you been?

You didn't create Gimpy just for this comeback did you??

Comment

Working...
                    X