• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful

I break my silence over this point then I bugger off...

The long-awaited report into the Bloody Sunday massacre will conclude that a number of the fatal shootings of civilians by British soldiers were unlawful killings, the Guardian has learned.

Lord Saville's 12-year inquiry into the deaths, the longest public inquiry in British legal history, will conclude with a report published next Tuesday, putting severe pressure on the Public Prosecution Service in Northern Ireland to prosecute soldiers.

Lord Trimble, the former leader of the Ulster Unionists and one of the architects of the Good Friday agreement, revealed to the Guardian that when Tony Blair agreed to the inquiry in 1998, he warned the then prime minister that any conclusion that departed "one millimetre" from the earlier 1972 Widgery report into the killings would lead to "soldiers in the dock".

One unionist MP who did not wish to be named described the conclusion of unlawful killings as a "hand-grenade with the pin pulled out that is about to be tossed into the lap of the PPS" in Northern Ireland
    For historical accuray the revenge for this was

At 16:40 a 500 pounds (227 kg) fertiliser bomb hidden in a lorry loaded with strawbales, parked close to Narrow Water Castle, was detonated by remote control as an army convoy of a Land-Rover and two four-ton trucks drove past on the A2 road. The explosion caught the rear truck in the convoy killing six members of 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment.[10]

After the first explosion the British soldiers, believing that they had come under attack from the IRA, began firing across the narrow maritime border with the Republic of Ireland, a distance of only 57 m (187 feet). An uninvolved civilian, Michael Hudson, an Englishman whose father was a coachman at Buckingham Palace was killed by British forces during the shooting, and his cousin Barry Hudson injured. According to RUC researchers, the soldiers may have mistaken the sound of ammunition cooking off from the Land-Rover destroyed in the original explosion for enemy fire from across the border.[11] However the hands of two IRA members arrested by the Gardaí and suspected of being behind the attack, Brendan Burns and Joe Brennan, showed traces of firearms,[12] while author Peter Taylor asserts that there was sniper fire on the soldiers after the first bomb ripped through the truck.[13]

On hearing the first explosion a Royal Marine unit alerted the British Army of an explosion on the road and reinforcements from the Parachute Regiment were dispatched to the scene by road. A rapid reaction unit consisting of medical staff and a senior commander Lieutenant-Colonel David Blair, the commanding officer of the Queen's Own Highlanders, together with his signaller Lance Corporal Victor MacLeod, were sent by Wessex helicopter. Col. Blair assumed command once at the site.

Narrow Water CastleAt 17.12, thirty two minutes after the first explosion, a second device concealed in milk pails exploded against the gate lodge on the opposite side of the road, completely destroying it. The IRA had been studying how the British Army acted after a bombing and correctly assessed that the soldiers would set up an Incident Command Point (ICP) in the nearby gate house.
    What I post is factual and without prejudice

The whole business was all so unnecessary too. Had successive British Administrations not turned a blind eye to the blatant sectarian discrimination that was happening under their noses, then we might never have seen such carnage on the streets of the UK. Twas a bit like ignoring a breast lump hoping it will go away. Sheer ostrich-minded folly.
    To make matters worse, once they DID finally acknowledge that there was a problem, they dithered around and were so weak-willed in grasping the nettle, they made matters worse.
    We could learn a lot about our present-day disaffection issues by studying where we went wrong in Ulster.
    Allowing the Paras anywhere near anything as complex as the NI issue was another huge gaffe. Most Paras could not be trusted to sit the right way round on a toilet, an inability that exists to this very day on their mandatory requirement list.
    Last edited by shaunbhoy; 11 June 2010, 09:54.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Allowing the Paras anywhere near anything as complex as the NI issue was another huge gaffe. Most Paras could not be trusted to sit the right way round on a toilet, an inability that exists to this very day on their mandatory requirement list.

Cock. It's not something to laugh about.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Cock. It's not something to laugh about.
        You have obviously never had anything to do with the Paras then.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

You have obviously never had anything to do with the Paras then.
          That's an obvious conclusion.

‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

That's an obvious conclusion.

Well it would need to be for a dimwitted bedwetter like you to have grasped so quickly.

HTH

Comment

Well it would need to be for a dimwitted bedwetter like you to have grasped so quickly.

HTH
              I would be offended if you weren't such an imbecile. As it is, I'm just feeling pity right now.

HTH b IDI.

Comment

I would be offended if you weren't such an imbecile. As it is, I'm just feeling pity right now.

HTH b IDI.
                Care to elaborate on what it was about my original post that has irked you so? Was it the fact that I poured scorn on the abilities of the Paras, or can't you recall now?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I break my silence over this point then I bugger off...
                  <stuff>
                  For historical accuray the revenge for this was
                  <stuff>
                  What I post is factual and without prejudice

Mini please do us all a favour and abandon your retirement/strop/flounce from CUK and continue to post thought provoking and interesting stuff like this.

Sir I salute you!

Comment

Care to elaborate on what it was about my original post that has irked you so? Was it the fact that I poured scorn on the abilities of the Paras, or can't you recall now?
                    It was the laugh smiley. Inappropriate IMO being in mind the number of people killed over the years.

FWIW, the Paras are meant for killing, not for policing. Wrong troops unless you believe the government intended to kill it's subjects.

Comment

Working...
                    X