• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Putting a bicycle on a train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting a bicycle on a train

I'm supposed to be cycling from Weymouth up to Bath on Saturday. The plan was to stick our bikes on the early train to Weymouth and ride back. I just rang whoever it is you ring to make reservations and was flabbergasted to hear that you can't put bikes on these trains. I don't wish to cast aspersions on Indian Call centres but I'm a little sceptical about what I was told being the truth since every time I asked a question the guy on the other end went away to ask somebody else and I had to repeat everything about 20 times to get him to understand. I tried ringing my local station but I still wound up at the same call centre. Was this man pulling my chain?

This doco from Brompton Cycles might help
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      This doco from Brompton Cycles might help
      Yes, I can see for First Great Western it is possible, but you need reservations.

I've noticed with many of the cheaper call centres, if your request is not on the script, they just say no.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        I'm supposed to be cycling from Weymouth up to Bath on Saturday. The plan was to stick our bikes on the early train to Weymouth and ride back. I just rang whoever it is you ring to make reservations and was flabbergasted to hear that you can't put bikes on these trains. I don't wish to cast aspersions on Indian Call centres but I'm a little sceptical about what I was told being the truth since every time I asked a question the guy on the other end went away to ask somebody else and I had to repeat everything about 20 times to get him to understand. I tried ringing my local station but I still wound up at the same call centre. Was this man pulling my chain?
        Just the title of your thread raised my stress levels! I do a lot of train/cycle stuff, and it always seems unnecessarily difficult. It varies by train. Some have a little compartment at one end which takes 5 bikes. No more. You can fit more in, but 'jobsworth' won't allow it - they actually threw my friend's bike onto the platform. Some have one or more 'bits' dotted throughout the train (the bike on the door is the clue) where you hang your bike on a hook. Always worth trying to book your bike - you're much less likely to run into problems. The easiest are the stopping trains with no bike facilities, as they're happy for you to simply block the exits with your bike and get tutted at by other passengers - but at least they don't limit the number of bikes they'll carry, so you don't normally get any hassle, and can sit where you can see your bike. There are some services that won't take bikes at all - peak services to London for example, but I think these should be detailed in the train operator's website's 'cycle policy'.

Enjoy your ride - sounds like a nice run.

Comment

I'd do it the other way round, psychologically Weymouth to Bath is uphill.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            i'd do it the other way round, psychologically weymouth to bath is uphill.
            roflol.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I'd do it the other way round, psychologically Weymouth to Bath is uphill.
              Agreed. Pootle down to the seaside, have a few pints and a spot of lunch and get the train home. Much more civilized.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                I can believe it.

I haven't been on that route but if the trains are anything like the Wessex Trains that run between Cardiff and Portsmouth then there is no room for Bicycles. There isn't enough room on those trains for any normal luggage either.

Comment

Weymouth to Waterloo is fine - I take my bike on\off Winchester to Waterloo every day even during rush hour.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I think I can be of help here. I believe that on some services the transportation of bicycles is down to the guard's discretion & if you are getting the early morning service I can tell you that they run 1 single class 21 car unit with just one set of mid mounted doors in front of which you will be able to put your bicycle. I doubt the guard will let you put it on given that you will be blocking the only exit. Maybe get a later train when they'll be running a 3 or 4 car set with plenty more doors & hence more space. Better still, see if they are running the loco hauled service - I know they run a double headed class 31 service in the summer months from Bristol to Weymouth - you'd have no problem getting on that.

HTH.

Comment

Working...
                    X