• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A fitting end to New Labour MP's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fitting end to New Labour MP's

Labour's Nick Palmer become first ex-MP to go on the dole - Telegraph

The ousted MP who speaks six languages, has a PhD in maths and once designed a computer game about the Battle of Britain, admitted that he was curious to see whether he would be “browbeaten into applying for jobs on a building site”.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

He could go contracting.

Hope he'll be IR35 compliant tho'
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        He could go contracting.

Hope he'll be IR35 compliant tho'
        MPs get a good payoff. He doesn't have to worry about money.

Comment

he was curious to see whether he would be “browbeaten into applying for jobs on a building site”.
          What an out-of-touch, arrogant pr1ck!! What site manager is going to employ a 60 yr old doctor of mathematics with no experience, on a building site?

Typical of New Liebores attitude to unemployment; "there's plenty of jobs out there, just go for one of those". All very well in theory, but there is such a thing as being "over qualified" and an employer isn't going to want to repeat the advertising/interview/selection/training process 2 months down the line because Dr. Whatshisname has decided it's actually a tad rougher than he thought, or because he's landed a cushy number on the board of a local business.

Even in "our" line of work the "lower paid" posts are unattainable as soon as you mention qualifications and/or experience, not to mention age and/or expected salary.

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            What an out-of-touch, arrogant pr1ck!! What site manager is going to employ a 60 yr old doctor of mathematics with no experience, on a building site?

Typical of New Liebores attitude to unemployment; "there's plenty of jobs out there, just go for one of those". All very well in theory, but there is such a thing as being "over qualified" and an employer isn't going to want to repeat the advertising/interview/selection/training process 2 months down the line because Dr. Whatshisname has decided it's actually a tad rougher than he thought, or because he's landed a cushy number on the board of a local business.

Even in "our" line of work the "lower paid" posts are unattainable as soon as you mention qualifications and/or experience, not to mention age and/or expected salary.

Alternatively, he was making a joke about people's perceptions of what goes on in JobCentres

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Alternatively, he was making a joke about people's perceptions of what goes on in JobCentres
              Hmmmmm, well Nick, I concede it could be a "joke", but it's a pretty bloody poor one if it is.

He then went on to say . . .

“It's a sensitive situation even for optimistic people like me, and I felt almost like giving him a hug,” he admitted.

But he was less optimistic for the future of the Jobcentre itself.

“I gather from other sources that the office is under new orders: to freeze recruitment, lay off all fixed-term staff and outsource much of their work to private companies,” he wrote.

“The shape of things to come may be more worrying.”

"may be more worrying" ?? For a parent, with kids to feed, a mortgage (or rent) to pay and no fat payout from the government as compensation, I should put it a might stronger than may be worrying!!

Nope, sorry Nick, I can't see any humour in that. I stick to my original opinion; he's an out-of-touch, arrogant pr1ck.
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
                Hmmmmm, well Nick, I concede it could be a "joke", but it's a pretty bloody poor one if it is.

He then went on to say . . .

"may be more worrying" ?? For a parent, with kids to feed, a mortgage (or rent) to pay and no fat payout from the government as compensation, I should put it a might stronger than may be [i]worrying[i]!!

Nope, sorry Nick, I can't see any humour in that. I stick to my original opinion; he's an out-of-touch, arrogant pr1ck.
                It's quite obvious that he's talking specifically about the future of JobCentres and their staff, not about the country as a whole. (It's also quite obvious that he doesn't intend that part of his message to be taken humorously.)

Comment

Dunno. My sister keeps landing little paid jobs and she's almost 70.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Well Im not dissing Nick Palmer, he was my MP, a good hard worker and not on the take like most of them.

I sent him an email petition on scrapping the current libel laws and he promptly replied, at 10pm one evening.

The only reason I didn't vote for him was because I wanted labour and the snot goblin out.

I wish Nick well and hope he finds something soon...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X