• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Understanding GAP Insurance??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding GAP Insurance??

I purchased a car about 12 months ago and was recently involved in an accident which the insurance company have now decided to write off the car.

Got my settlement through but am trying to sort out the GAP insurance which is return to invoice policy.
    As far as I was aware this policy refunds the difference between the settlement figure or current market (depending on which is higher) and the original invoice price.

However I just got a letter from the Gap Co stating that because the vehicle I purchased was at the time £500 less than what is stated as the current market value there is nothing for them to pay and have reimbursed my policy instead WTF.

How can a car bought from a main BMW dealer be worth more now than it was 12 months ago and have an extra 20k miles on it that is just ludicrous!

Originally posted by kermitt View Post
    I purchased a car about 12 months ago and was recently involved in an accident which the insurance company have now decided to write off the car.

Got my settlement through but am trying to sort out the GAP insurance which is return to invoice policy.
    As far as I was aware this policy refunds the difference between the settlement figure or current market (depending on which is higher) and the original invoice price.

However I just got a letter from the Gap Co stating that because the vehicle I purchased was at the time £500 less than what is stated as the current market value there is nothing for them to pay and have reimbursed my policy instead WTF.

How can a car bought from a main BMW dealer be worth more now than it was 12 months ago and have an extra 20k miles on it that is just ludicrous!
    Most Insurance business is working out how NOT to pay people........

This is outrageous, unfair and (debateably) downright dishonest....... but True!

Comment

There you go. You can't say that you weren't warned about BMW, their dealers, etc., on this very forum no less.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Gap insurance is a load of balls, as I understand it.

I thought gap insurance was about paying the shortfall between the insurance payout and the amount due to the finance company in settlement?
        Last edited by MaryPoppins; 11 June 2010, 14:41.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

That depends upon the policy mine is an RTI which is supposed to cover the difference between the insurance payout and the priginal purchase price.

Comment

That depends upon the policy mine is an RTI which is supposed to cover the difference between the insurance payout and the priginal purchase price.
            Ah, I see. Have you researched the current market value?
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Gap = Guaranteed Anti Payment

How much do you think they should have paid?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I purchased the car for £11495 from a BMW franchise.

Insurance Co initial offer was £9500 and managed to get £10k out of them commensurate with like for like with what I was seeing on Autotrader etc.

The GAP Co are saying the current market value is £12095 which is BS because having used Parker's guide and adjusted for the correct mileage for the same car to be sold now from a franchise the price would be £11065 which reduces as you go down the scale of independant dealer, private P/X etc.

Have phoned the dealer where I purchased the car and they are checking their system and Glass's Guide as well. Hopefully I will have more ammo to kick some butt with the GAP Co.

Comment

Sounds like you've been done. Ombudsman time.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    Most Insurance business is working out how NOT to pay people........

This is outrageous, unfair and (debateably) downright dishonest....... but True!
                    If insurance companies had to pay for every insurer ( hypothetically) they woudl go bankrupt within a minute. It is in their interest to try and not pay. I think the insurance companies here are a bit okay but in the US they are utter thieves. What I hate is that they provide you with an insurance and take your premium and then try and find holes when it comes to payout time. Why cant they dig the holes before the cover and prevent all this ?
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X