• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma

So, been offered a six month contract, with probable extension. I am already in contract until August, at a (very) local gig, and have been told I'm forecast to be extended to November.

My current role is fine, the rate is quite low, but I like the team and it is 2 miles away from home.

Newly offered role pays a lot more, but involves more travel, being around 40 miles away. Not a massive distance, but now, I have a small child to consider.

It would be good for the CV and would enable me to squirrel away a significant amount more in savings for our future, but might make picking him up from nursery occasionally difficult.

Even though family would help where needed I'm sure, it might mean I am not able to put him to bed at times. Not sure I like the idea of that.

Should I be doing all I can to stay local now, or be thinking of the long game and aiming to save more so that I can be around more when he's older perhaps?

Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    So, been offered a six month contract, with probable extension. I am already in contract until August, at a (very) local gig, and have been told I'm forecast to be extended to November.

My current role is fine, the rate is quite low, but I like the team and it is 2 miles away from home.

Newly offered role pays a lot more, but involves more travel, being around 40 miles away. Not a massive distance, but now, I have a small child to consider.

It would be good for the CV and would enable me to squirrel away a significant amount more in savings for our future, but might make picking him up from nursery occasionally difficult.

Even though family would help where needed I'm sure, it might mean I am not able to put him to bed at times. Not sure I like the idea of that.

Should I be doing all I can to stay local now, or be thinking of the long game and aiming to save more so that I can be around more when he's older perhaps?

Personally if DS1 is in nursery and not in school then I would personally go for closer to home. These tend to me the most important years, so closer to home means more time in the evening, further away you're looking at more childcare time(or time with hubby). Don't know what you have set up.
    I've been turning stuff down which is further away for that reason.
    It's easier once at school. IMHO.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

From what you have stated, I would opt for the newer role.

However, which role provides you with progression over the long term? Is there any scope for working from home on the newer role? Even one day a week would help.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Personally if DS1 is in nursery and not in school then I would personally go for closer to home. These tend to me the most important years, so closer to home means more time in the evening, further away you're looking at more childcare time(or time with hubby). Don't know what you have set up.
        I've been turning stuff down which is further away for that reason.
        It's easier once at school. IMHO.
        At the moment, we get home around 5:30pm and he's pretty much ready for bed so we get very little "quality time" at night, that's usually the mornings.

Single parent status is what makes my decision more difficult, and more important.

I kind of feel like I should maybe stay where I am for as long as I can, as I will have to travel at some point. My Mum feels I should consider taking a higher rate to enable me to take more time off once contract ends. Pah.

rsingh - I won't ask about WFH - never do, I think it looks bad. I doubt it though.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

From personal experience, stay local for now and enjoy the time whilst the little one is growing up. I am sure (but may be wrong) that even on your current rate you are able to squirrel away an amount, even if not as much as your option 2. To me, making money is important yes, family however is paramount.

Comment

Maybe the 'devil you know' is better in your circumstances. A six-monther in August will take you into next year though, and you'd have some extra savings.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

At the moment, we get home around 5:30pm and he's pretty much ready for bed so we get very little "quality time" at night, that's usually the mornings.

Single parent status is what makes my decision more difficult, and more important.

I kind of feel like I should maybe stay where I am for as long as I can, as I will have to travel at some point. My Mum feels I should consider taking a higher rate to enable me to take more time off once contract ends. Pah.

rsingh - I won't ask about WFH - never do, I think it looks bad. I doubt it though.

I would suggest that you stay and enjoy the time when your kid is young. The good point is that that you now know that there are better contracts out there and with luck; there will be others when your current contract finishes. Also, by keeping the current client happy may result in more work in the future.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Maybe the 'devil you know' is better in your circumstances. A six-monther in August will take you into next year though, and you'd have some extra savings.
                Yes, I think the 'devil you know' comment is probably very appropriate. My gut instinct was to stay where I am for his sake. Hope he appreciates it
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

So 5.30 is a good time. I get back around 6.30-7.0 for bedtime. stories. I have a drive of 40 miles.

Plan is to finish this contract end of July, take an extra 2 months, then work in my own shop for the next six months (ie xmas and New year) where I can close down. I then move to being 5 minutes from home. The shop will be less money.

So yes. I've gone for the 'extra' dosh 1st, then take less afterwards.

A single friend has done the same(split from hubby) and went for the money. After six months her son had behaviourial difficulties from being passed to pillar to post, so she went back to local.

Tough call.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you can live comfortably on the current rate I'd stay where you are, saying that I had a chance to earn 3x my normal rate on a 5 month contract when my daughter was only a few months old but I turned it down just before the biggest recession in modern history... seriously regretting that decision now.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X