• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afghanistan sitting on a gold mine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afghanistan sitting on a gold mine

The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan...huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium...An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,”
    A bit of luck the US and UK are there trying to stabilise the country. Or whatever.

At the same time, American officials fear resource-hungry China will try to dominate the development of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth, which could upset the United States, given its heavy 'investment' [my quotes] in the region.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/wo...l?pagewanted=1

Why do you think the British were there back in Queen Victorias time?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      <cough>

1817. Ho hum. Maybe they wanted it for Queen Victoria's Hydrogen Bombe.

</cough>
      In 1817 wouldn't it have been for George III's Federation spacevessel?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        In 1817 wouldn't it have been for George III's Federation spacevessel?
        That's just madness.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          A bit of luck the US and UK are there trying to stabilise the country.
          Well at least this ought to coax a few more of our NATO brethren to step up to the plate and supply some proper frontline troops instead of padres, cooks, and bottlewashers!!

Who'd have thought it eh?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The West is entitled to all that, given the investment in money and blood.

Comment

Working...
            X