• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Helpline

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Helpline

Jeez, I really hope I never get investigated by HMRC because I've just spent 20 minutes or so talking to a very unhelpful lady on their so called help line. I've got a PAYE bill to pay & haven't done one in ages - all I wanted to know is the frikkin tax office account reference so I can make the payment online in time for the deadline but it's like getting blood out of a stone. She claimed to not know what the hell I was on about even when I told her in great detail exactly what I needed it for & she was bloody rude as well. Anyhow, to cut a long story short, I found out what it was I wanted & then she wanted a load of information that I didn't have to hand & had to ring my accountant before getting back to her. And you know what? She put me through all that just to tell me she couldn't let me have it over the phone - she can only send it in the post. I sometimes get the feeling that they make it as difficult as possible for you so you just end up giving in and getting a job like everyone else
    mad

Its a trap ! don't ring up ! the SAS are outside your door, they're going to kick your door down and get your dirty underpants as evidence in court !

No seriously I mean the tax office 'kinda' works but like anything its pot luck as to whether or not you get someone who can really help. I have found both helpful and very unhelpful people at my local tax office, first port of call should alwys be your accountant if possible though - we all know that.

Comment

I'm surprised you expected anything different

Did a gig or two at their social club (actually several over the years in different venues), never seen such a bunch of social misfits in one place at the same time. They wind up / fight with each other which is fun to watch and that's just the women.

Rather enjoyed keying their Focuses and Astras in between loading the PA gear into the van.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

They are bleedin' useless. Been trying to get them to send me a self assessment - they insisted I should register as self employed. Clearly the difference between a company director and self-employed hasn't filtered down to telephone support level. Still haven't received the form...

Comment

I got wise to this a while back.

I needed to know about maternity pay for one of my businesses for one of my staff. The staff was my wife.

I phoned up and acted very dumb(no comment is required here) concerning how much, how does it work etc. They wanted details and I just said look, I'd rather not I'd just like the information as I may have made a mistake and so want the basics in confidence.

Anyway they went with that and told me maternity would be based on a two month qualifying period where her salary during this time would be used. So armed with the info I doubled her wages and was able to max out the allowance. After the baby was born a cheque for 6k turned up!!!

You've gotta treat them with kid gloves
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

All my interactions with HMRC have shown them to be pleasant and helpful. The main problem I've had is getting through in the first place, I had a PAYE/NI payment that got caught in the wrong year and triggered non-payment letters for the previous year, and it took ages on hold.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I got wise to this a while back.

I needed to know about maternity pay for one of my businesses for one of my staff. The staff was my wife.

I phoned up and acted very dumb(no comment is required here) concerning how much, how does it work etc. They wanted details and I just said look, I'd rather not I'd just like the information as I may have made a mistake and so want the basics in confidence.

Anyway they went with that and told me maternity would be based on a two month qualifying period where her salary during this time would be used. So armed with the info I doubled her wages and was able to max out the allowance. After the baby was born a cheque for 6k turned up!!!

You've gotta treat them with kid gloves
              That's essentially benefit fraud. Strange thing to boast about, most people would be ashamed.

Comment

Working...
              X