• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nice, France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, France

Any recommendations for a good hotel? I'm thinking somewhere relaxing afetr a weeks hiking across the French/Italian alps, i.e an infinity pool, great view over the French Riviera, good service etc. etc.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Shouldn't the title read 'Horrible, France'? I'm assuming you've never been before, save yourself the bother, the place is a stinking dump. If you do insist on going, you'd probably be better looking for hotel recommendations etc on a travel forum (I think you'll find something like 'tripadvisor' to be more than adequate for your needs).

Comment

Originally posted by bingobob View Post
      Shouldn't the title read 'Horrible, France'? I'm assuming you've never been before, save yourself the bother, the place is a stinking dump. If you do insist on going, you'd probably be better looking for hotel recommendations etc on a travel forum (I think you'll find something like 'tripadvisor' to be more than adequate for your needs).
      The trouble with tripadvisor is that any scummy herbert can leave their comments on there and although it is not difficult to filter the useless comments out, with this forum the OP knows that they will get a Contractor standard discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        Any recommendations for a good hotel? I'm thinking somewhere relaxing afetr a weeks hiking across the French/Italian alps, i.e an infinity pool, great view over the French Riviera, good service etc. etc.
        Have a look at Antibes or one of the small places between Nice and Monaco. There is once *seriously* nice place on the cap de st jean's ferret that I forget the name of, but I doubt you can afford it (seriously!)

Aerial view

There are some good restaurants in and around Nice though.

Oh an be warned, the traffic is a nightmare.
        Last edited by doodab; 15 June 2010, 10:12.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

BTW if you are even slightly interested in boats take a cheap pair of Binos. Antibes is the largest yacht haven in Europe and between there, Cannes, Nice and Monaco you'll be able to spot some of the largest private yachts in the world.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by bingobob View Post
            Shouldn't the title read 'Horrible, France'? I'm assuming you've never been before, save yourself the bother, the place is a stinking dump.
            Correct, I've never been before but as we're hiking along the French Italian border starting in Pietraporzio, Italy and heading south over the border the nearest and most obvious place along the Riveria would be Nice, any other suggestions around that part would be most welcome.

Requirements are fairly straight forward: after a weeks hiking (i.e knackered with aching legs) we'd like somewhere to relax, next to the sea, decent rooms/service/food, a nice view and given that it'll be late July on the French Riveria an infinity pool is a must.

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            The trouble with tripadvisor is that any scummy herbert can leave their comments on there and although it is not difficult to filter the useless comments out, with this forum the OP knows that they will get a Contractor standard discussion.
            Exactly.. I've looked on TripAdvisor but a recommendation is always far better IMO.
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

Good point, I was only using tripadvisor as an example, there's plenty of other sites around. The only reason I mentioned it was because the guy specifically said he was looking for a 'good hotel'. The problem with asking for recommendations on a site like this is that most contractors are pretty cheap by nature and unfortunately can have a tendency towards poor taste, yet are given to ostentation (many will fool themselves that a 200 GBP a night hotel is obviously out of the range of 99.999% of the population and as a consequence must be simply excellent).

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                good service etc. etc.
                This is France we're talking about. You need an establishment with surly waiters who scoff and hmiliate youfor your attempts to order thing in your very best schoolboy French

Comment

Stay here, I have and it was great:

Giraglia Hotel (Grimaud, France) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

√ Port-Grimaud Hotel Giraglia Cote d'Azur

Sorry doesn't have an infinity pool though.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X