• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Real "Liberal" Democrats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Real "Liberal" Democrats

Drop the drop the mask is slipping from the faces of the Lib Dems. The self styled "party of the people" has been knocked off its high horse. First we hard Champagne Charlie now its Oaten and the rent boy. What next? And to think millions saw the Lid Dems as a party of honour and trust since the War in Iraq. Lol

Oaten resigns over rent boy claim

From The Beeb

Former Liberal Democrat leadership challenger Mark Oaten has stood down as the party's home affairs spokesman over an alleged affair with a rent boy.
    Mr Oaten released a statement apologising for the "embarrassment" caused to his family, friends and the Liberal Democrat party.

Married Mr Oaten, 41, and the MP for Winchester, dropped out of the Lib Dem leadership race this week.

The statement follows claims to be made in a Sunday newspaper.

News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner said Mr Oaten had been confronted with details of a relationship with a 23-year-old rent boy by reporters from the Sunday paper.

'Personal privacy'

In a statement Mr Oaten said: "I have stood down as home affairs spokesman for the party.

"I would like to apologise for errors of judgement in personal behaviour and for the embarrassment caused, firstly to my family but also to my friends, my constituents and my party.

"I will not be commenting further at this time and would now ask for some space and personal privacy for me and my family."

Lib Dem chief whip Andrew Stunell said Mr Oaten had stood down "with immediate effect" as home affairs spokesman.

He and his family now need to have their personal privacy respected

Lib Dem chief whip Andrew Stunell

"He has apologised to his family. He has apologised to his constituents who he always served well," Mr Stunell said.

"He and his family now need to have their personal privacy respected."

Mr Oaten's resignation as home affairs spokesman comes only two weeks after the party's leader, Charles Kennedy, stepped down after admitting he had received treatment for a drink problem.

Mr Kennedy's resignation prompted the leadership battle.

When standing down as the Lib Dems leadership challenger on Thursday, Mr Oaten said the other contenders all "had much more support" among MPs.

His withdrawal leaves Sir Menzies Campbell, Chris Huhne and Simon Hughes as the remaining candidates.
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

So what? Or are you just another sanctimonious tulipe?

Comment

So are you saying we can't trust a guy cos he has had one up the bum ? I can't recall a pledge of "non-bumming" in the Lib Dem party manifesto. Perhaps you feel insecure, Chico, with your fellow gay christians.

Comment

I understand that he is married, so that's one person who doesn't trust him any more.

And I wonder what his kids will go through at school? There's a lot of kudos to be had if your dad has been caught with a fit woman, but not with a rent boy.

Comment

How do you know ? Perhaps Mrs Oaten likes to join in and enjoy some bi-sexual action. These people are very liberal after all. No, until we have all the available pictures and webcam footage we shouldn't rush to gloating.

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
            What next?
            Errm apparently Simon Hughes is also a bandy-waister!
            What is it with that shower? They are all either dipsomaniacs, shirtlifters, or both. Apart from Ming the Merciless who seems to favour a slightly different version of stabbing from behind! Ah well, its got to be good news for the Tories!
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
              What is it with that shower? They are all either dipsomaniacs, shirtlifters, or both.
              Well, it's because the Lib Dems have got nothing else to do!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
                What is it with that shower?
                You have to bend over to pick up the soap - that's what's wrong with that shower.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Let's be honest - if you turned the spotlight on all three major parties, you'll uncover more than the national average amount of gays, alkies & downright dodgy feckers.

Though why these guys would put themselves up for the leadership when they're got these kind of skeletons in their closet is a bit mystifying to me. You'd think they'd know better ...

BTW Chico, speaking of shirtlifting revelations - you have any particular stance on paedophile priests and shirtlifting vicars or is you're wrath selective?
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                    BTW Chico, speaking of shirtlifting revelations - you have any particular stance on paedophile priests and shirtlifting vicars or is you're wrath selective?
                    Sin is sin irrespective of who is committing it..
                    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Working...
                    X