• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth replacing a slightly older camera for a newer cheap one?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth replacing a slightly older camera for a newer cheap one?

My current 4 MP camera works okay, but with today's cheap models (e.g.) offering anti-shake, 12MP, a large view screen, 720p video, etc., £69 doesn't seem too high a price to pay for an upgrade. I must admit I have to wonder whether such a tiny lens and apertures on these small cameras is going to do 12MP justice, but then again my current camera is similarly challenged and seems okay. Video is a bit carp though.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    My current 4 MP camera works okay, but with today's cheap models (e.g.) offering anti-shake, 12MP, a large view screen, 720p video, etc., £69 doesn't seem too high a price to pay for an upgrade. I must admit I have to wonder whether such a tiny lens and apertures on these small cameras is going to do 12MP justice, but then again my current camera is similarly challenged and seems okay. Video is a bit carp though.
    Not worth it IMHO. By the time you have got it home and unpacked, someone will be offering a 20MP camera that does all and more that your latest purchase does, as well as getting the stones out of horses hoofs, giving you weather, shipping, and traffic updates, and having umpteen games on board too.
    And all for a fraction of your £69.

HTH
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

To make any decent photo; you need a decent lens. The Aperture should be around 2.8 but a 3.5 on a cheap one should be OK. One of my cameras is an old digital Pentax that knocks the spots off of most new digitals.

Best value for money in the cheap price is the Fuji finepix range, the format is similar to digital SLR.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        To make any decent photo; you need a decent lens. The Aperture should be around 2.8 but a 3.5 on a cheap one should be OK. One of my cameras is an old digital Pentax that knocks the spots off of most new digitals.
        A similar store here. My first digital camera was a 3 megapixel Olympus which cost and arm and a leg.

It was slow and bulky, and took rechargeable AA batteries, which didn't last very long. I replaced it with a much cheaper and easier to use Canon with more features, but the piccies I took with the Olympus stand head and shoulders above anything I have taken with the Canon.

I think I'd like to borrow a couple of cameras for a few sessions and compare the results before buying next time. I really ought to join a camera club...
        Last edited by Sysman; 15 June 2010, 17:00.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Best value for money in the cheap price is the Fuji finepix range, the format is similar to digital SLR.

Not good reliability

Comment

Spend a few quid more and get something with a decent lens. Go for less MP if it means you get a better lens.

Most of the other bits and bobs (anti shake etc) you don't really need.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

On a bit of further investigation, that Fujifilm FinePix I linked to as an example has a lot of unhappy customers. Apparently it crashes a lot, especially indoors. So it's probably best not to be ahead of the crowd when buying cheap.

Comment

Do you NEED bigger pictures? higher res? smaller camera? better video?

If not keep what you got. 4 Meg pics are perfectly useable. Need to see what you need rather than upgrade for hell of it IMO. Xmas isn't far off. Just wait till then and drop some hints to SWMBO
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Do you NEED bigger pictures? higher res? smaller camera? better video?

If not keep what you got. 4 Meg pics are perfectly useable. Need to see what you need rather than upgrade for hell of it IMO. Xmas isn't far off. Just wait till then and drop some hints to SWMBO
                  Nope, I don't need it. I found a solution looking for a problem, though the solution turned out to be the problem. Or something.

Comment

Working...
                  X