• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the internet collapse on the 23rd at 15:00?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the internet collapse on the 23rd at 15:00?

I predict BT's 50 year old bell wire infrastructure will fry, glad I booked the day off.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Why that date? Linky?

Duh! It's the footy again.

Not impressed with this whole world cup thingy after being woken up at 3:30 this morning by neighbour's telly at full blast. And chanting in the evenings.
    Last edited by Sysman; 16 June 2010, 11:15.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      Why that date? Linky?
      Slovenia v England
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Second result for this Google search

Comment

You don't need to worry about BT's network. Your ISP will have multiple peers or transit providers to connect to the rest of the internet. The only part that is exclusively down to BT (assuming you have a standard BT wholesale ADSL connection) is the "virtual" circuit from the exchange to your ISP and the physical bearers that it travels upon, which will be under no more strain on the 23rd at 15:00 than it is any other day at 21:00 when you're having your evening fumble.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            You don't need to worry about BT's network. Your ISP will have multiple peers or transit providers to connect to the rest of the internet. The only part that is exclusively down to BT (assuming you have a standard BT wholesale ADSL connection) is the "virtual" circuit from the exchange to your ISP and the physical bearers that it travels upon, which will be under no more strain on the 23rd at 15:00 than it is any other day at 21:00 when you're having your evening fumble.
            tell me about it... I've got aluminium wire which is feckin' useless for ADSL, it's all this guys fault: Ian Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              The second result is now This from 2002.

The only times I have seen a large chunk of it go down were some DNS problems, and once my own server suffered from a SYN flood. The latter was weird as I couldn't access the web server that was sitting by my desk (I could restart it on another port and gain access that way, but no way could I get localhost:80 to respond).
              Last edited by Sysman; 16 June 2010, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                tell me about it... I've got aluminium wire which is feckin' useless for ADSL, it's all this guys fault: Ian Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                How is is Ian Smith's fault?

Comment

No, but it could domin 2013 !!

Link

Comment

Here's one for you Ginjey:

You don't need Paris or Manhattan
                    When you can have a good night out in
                    Congresbury or Yatton

Of course, it's The Wurzels but those lines made me laufg.

Comment

Working...
                    X