• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stephen Fry: Doctor Who is a children's programme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen Fry: Doctor Who is a children's programme

I've been exonerated :

Link

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I've been exonerated :

Link
    FFS Will someone please ban this boring sockie? FFS.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've been exonerated :

Link
      No you haven't because:

a) You're still a boring tit.
      b) Fry is wrong in saying that Dr Who is for children.

He is correct though in saying that they're wonderfully written.

… Fry said he was not arguing that all television should be pompous, academic or intellectual.

"But they ought to surprise and to astonish and to make us feel perhaps the possibility there is a world outside that we know nothing of to provoke us, to provoke in the best sense of the word, sometimes in the worst sense," he said.
      Which, I would contend, Dr Who does, and always has aspired to do. ( Though Merlin, also mentioned in the article doesn't. It's still a bit of a laugh though ).

Not all entertainment needs to be stretching or challenging. I'm currently reading Stalingrad. When it gets rather heavy, I'll pick up something lighter, like Calvin and Hobbes.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by The nations favourite lovey
        "If you are an adult you want something surprising .... possibly even slightly disturbing and wrong," .

"You want to try those things, because that's what being adult means.
        I'm not sure that trying things that are disturbing and wrong is what being adult means at all.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

a) You're still a boring tit.
          Not so sure I like that comment. Not very nice is it?

Comment

Well it's definitely not "wonderfully written". It's definitely been going downhill since the end of series 2.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I think Stephen Fry would be right if the TV audience comprised solely of intellectuals who aren't interested in a bit of light weight escapism... but it's not so he's wrong.

IMO there's fair balance of programming to suit everyone, I'd suggest he sticks to BBC4 and steer well clear of tea time TV on the populist channels.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I think Stephen Fry would be right if the TV audience comprised solely of intellectuals who aren't interested in a bit of light weight escapism... but it's not so he's wrong.

IMO there's fair balance of programming to suit everyone, I'd suggest he sticks to BBC4 and steer well clear of tea time TV on the populist channels.
                Did you ever see anything he did in the 80s?

He offered a more balanced view than the article suggests.

Comment

Not so sure I like that comment. Not very nice is it?
                  May not be nice but completely accurate.
                  You're a common or garden pub bore.

HTH, but IDI
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I'm not sure that trying things that are disturbing and wrong is what being adult means at all.
                    It might do if you come from the same "mould" of adult that Stephen Fry does.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X