• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Landlord Rental Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord Rental Question

I've been reading stuff on here for years, don't post much tho

Just getting back into rental after several years away. Things have changed, this HMO being the main one. I've read up on it but have a question which I'm sure will attract lots of positive answers.

If I arrange a tenancy agreement between myself as the landlord and a couple as the tenant for the house as a whole, HMO doesn't apply. But then if they get a couple of friends in to help with the rent what is my position ? Two parts to this I guess, 1. I know they are doing it 2. I don't know they are doing it. cheers

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) for those not in the know
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

You might want to contact the national landlords association, they have a free advice line for members.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by andyo View Post
        If I arrange a tenancy agreement between myself as the landlord and a couple as the tenant for the house as a whole, HMO doesn't apply. But then if they get a couple of friends in to help with the rent what is my position ? Two parts to this I guess, 1. I know they are doing it 2. I don't know they are doing it. cheers
        If you have a single tenancy agreement its not an HMO.
        If you know about their friends and have another tenancy agreement drawn up it becomes an HMO, I think.
        If they sublet and don't tell you, its not an HMO.*

*All advice is IMHO (geddit?) and I sugegst you consult a pro.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
        X