• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reduction in Drink Drive Limit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reduction in Drink Drive Limit

As a non drinker surprisingly I do not support the proposed reduction in the legal alocohol blood level from 80 mg per 100ml of blood
    to 50 mg per 100 ml of blood.

It's these figures they come up with; 168 lives saved in a year, or 303 after five years how can they employ such levels of exactitude? Ok, if we really want to save lives, why not cut the rate to zero? Why not ban anyone from getting behind the wheel who is not aged 25-70?

To me, this should be a balance between freedom and responsibility and the implementation of these proposals will further damage country pubs as the law abiding citizen who enjoys a couple of pints over the course of an evening before driving home will no longer venture out. The real villuin, the anti social lunatic who has had many drinks, will still continue to do so and will continue to be a menace.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    The real villuin

Are you sure you don't mean willun?

Comment

As a non drinker surprisingly I do not support the proposed reduction in the legal alocohol blood level from 80 mg per 100ml of blood
      to 50 mg per 100 ml of blood.

It's these figures they come up with; 168 lives saved in a year, or 303 after five years how can they employ such levels of exactitude? Ok, if we really want to save lives, why not cut the rate to zero? Why not ban anyone from getting behind the wheel who is not aged 25-70?

To me, this should be a balance between freedom and responsibility and the implementation of these proposals will further damage country pubs as the law abiding citizen who enjoys a couple of pints over the course of an evening before driving home will no longer venture out. The real villuin, the anti social lunatic who has had many drinks, will still continue to do so and will continue to be a menace.
      There is risk associated with all aspects of life.
      Are overweight people more likely to cause accidents?
      Are smokers more likely to career off the road?
      If you are on prescription medication are you more likely to shunt someone?
      Fatter, shorter, thinner, tired, coffee, mobile phone, kids in the back, small cars, fast cars, BMW drivers, speed limits!!!

If you carry out statistical analysis and build out the predictive models that cause accidents then the answer to alot of the above will be correct. The optimum answer would be for only fit, BMI average, 30-40 years old, camomile tea, fiat drivers at 15mph on all Britains roads, and everyone else to take a bus.

We have become a nanny, health & safety, bedwetting state with liberal do-gooders believing in some misplaced cotton wool utopian state!!!!!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        We have become a nanny, health & safety, bedwetting state with liberal do-gooders believing in some misplaced cotton wool utopian state!!!!!
        And some posters would like CUK to be the same!
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

As someone who is an expert in the subject, I don't dd now but have two previous convictions I can see that this is flawed.

83% of accidents are caused by sober drivers.

p.s The breathalisers are flawed. last time I was done I consumed 10 pints and 3 large brandies and was less than twice the limit.

Comment

Won't somebody think of the children!

Saw a tv report on this story, filmed some guy whose kid was killed in a car accident where the culpable driver would have been over the limit had this new one been in force, but as the law stood was not.

Absolutely no mention or thought was given as to whether or not the accident would still have happened should the driver had not drunk at all.

Car accidents kill people every day, crap driving is responsible for many more deaths than driving under the influence of that particular drug (and why pick that one?)... hey why not ban everything, sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_woo View Post
              As someone who is an expert in the subject, I don't dd now but have two previous convictions I can see that this is flawed.

83% of accidents are caused by sober drivers.

p.s The breathalisers are flawed. last time I was done I consumed 10 pints and 3 large brandies and was less than twice the limit.
              It's the random testing that's going to be the killer - not the fact that people may be over the limit but the fact that coppers are going to be stopping people on a whim...

Snooker? Anyone?

Comment

Don't sit on the fence, say what you think
                SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

As a non drinker surprisingly I do not support the proposed reduction in the legal alocohol blood level from 80 mg per 100ml of blood to 50 mg per 100 ml of blood.
                  You're wasting your breath, and so is anyone else who goes on about this, because it is (*) some new EU harmonisation initiative.

If the EU commission ordained that drivers had to wear a pair of underpants on their head, that would become law too, however much any windbag in the UK (including in Parliament) huffed and puffed.

(*) Fairly sure, without wanting to sound too dogmatic, because I read something about it a while ago.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Snooker? Anyone?
                    It's funny you say that - I heard that bored police officers were stopping cars according to their colour like a game of snooker so the sequence would go like red car - yellow car - red car - green car - red car - brown car ... and so on. If you get my drift, you'll see that you are much more likely to get stopped if you're in a red car!

Comment

Working...
                    X