• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can anybody recommend a good book?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anybody recommend a good book?

When I start a book I tend to finish it. Unfortunately, this means I find some books a bit of a challenge.

I've decided that I don't like anything that has been nominated for the Booker prize or anything that people on the Late Review tend to like because, while there may be beautifully flowing prose, nothing happens. Or, sometimes there's no beautifully flowing prose and still nothing happens - it's just been nominated becasue of the demographic of it's author. White Teeth is a case in hand. I need a beginning, middle and end in my books, something that's a bit of a page turner but not trashy. In the past I've enjoyed stuff by Dean Koontz and Tami Hoag. And there's that American guy who does the courtroom dramas - his stuff is good. Anyone recommend anything?

The Time Travellers Wife is a good read
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

"Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable" summer 1937
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Fly Fishing by JR Hartley.

Comment

The girl with the dragon tattoo.

Comment

Well Gimpy - I have given this a lot of consideration and research so...... based on your apparent intellectual level and social skills have come up with a shortlist for you.......

Thats it actually...... ShortList...... I believe you can pick it up at many stations on your way home.

Comment

Thomas the Tank Engine
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Imperium by Robert Harris, best book I've read in a very long time.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post

When I start a book I tend to finish it. Unfortunately, this means I find some books a bit of a challenge.
                  That's silly - Books aren't sacred, and there are so many of them it isn't worth wasting time soldiering on with a book that isn't for you.

I must admit I faded out of Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel after thirty pages or so, despite its rave reviews. There was no denying it was beautifully written, but the characters' attitudes seemed slightly anachronistic, and Thomas Cromwell in particular came across as far too nice and agreeable.

I'd highly recommend The Journeyer. But I imagine its fatal flaw for you would be that it doesn't feature railways.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Once in Golconda is an excellent read.

Comment

Working...
                    X