• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

client event - can i charge!?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

client event - can i charge!?

My client has major overseas customer visiting in a few weeks. I have been asked to join in on a night time social to dine with the guests. To be honest i am not interested in joining the event, but dont think client will be too happy if i so no. just wondering, as its a client request can i charge for the time i am there?

what do others do?

Originally posted by diesel View Post
    My client has major overseas customer visiting in a few weeks. I have been asked to join in on a night time social to dine with the guests. To be honest i am not interested in joining the event, but dont think client will be too happy if i so no. just wondering, as its a client request can i charge for the time i am there?

what do others do?
    Ask your client if they are paying for your meal and time. If they say yes, pay for the meal and invoice them for time and meal.

But if you don't want to go, just say that your <enter choice of relative here> is sick and need to be at home to be with them.

Personally, I don't see the problem in being a bit sociable (unless the client is a Wayne Kerr) and forking out the money oneself. It may get you a brownie point or two.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post

what do others do?
      Meal and drinks will no doubt be paid for on a tab any way by your client. As for your own time, which you believe should be billable - this will not be the case and you should see this as a business development opportunity for your company rather than a chance to charge the client more. I do this a lot with my client and it's helped me secure more and more work after renewal after renewal. Show your client that you can handle yourself in business social events like this one. Get on with their customer and make yourself known and you'll find that in this tough climate it pays to market your wares well to existing clients as well as new ones.

Comment

would suggest you attend- may get you a pay rise in longer term.

Comment

The other contractor option is to offer to subsidise some of the cost for your clients' employees.

Comment

Originally posted by SackmanandCo View Post
            would suggest you attend- may get you a pay rise in longer term.
            just had a nice rise last week because i am taking a more senior role in my area, as the other chap in my dept has left (only the 2 of us in my section!).

Chimpmaster - well put argumemt. Theres not many contractors left where i work. Thanks for the advice, and you are probably right. What i might do is work a long 9-10 hr day, as it point me going home as i live 50mins from the office.

Comment

I would just go unless it is a pure marketing exercise. (This is if client is picking up the tab, if they are not then don’t bother)

The goodwill that can be generated can far outweigh the minor inconvenience and you never know, you might actually not only enjoy yourself but make some decent contacts yourself

Comment

Your kidding right lol?? You go in to your client and try and charge him for time spent on a social do like this. You are going to look a right chump!! You are more likely to alienate yourself and get a bad rep if you pull that trick just for a few hours and what might be a nice free meal. That is seriously tight. No wonder contractors have such a bad rep with permies
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WHS. I doubt the permies are getting paid overtime for going.

Comment

Working...
                  X