• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

World Cup 2010: HMV withdraws 'racist' anti-England posters from Scottish stores

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup 2010: HMV withdraws 'racist' anti-England posters from Scottish stores

High street retailer HMV has withdrawn "Anyone But England" World Cup posters and T-shirts from its Scottish stores following complaints they were racist.....

"During the last World Cup, a number of racist attacks were committed in Scotland against English people and anti-English racism remains a problem whether it's a World Cup year or not.
    <Ding> off you go
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

That's an eye-opener....I had no idea HMV was a racist organisation. Clearly a shop to avoid.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Woman attacked in Scotland &lsquo;because she sounded English&rsquo; - Times Online

BBC NEWS | Scotland | England shirt attacks condemned

Women, disabled people and children attacked for being English. Or kiwi in the case of the 7 year old. It's a problem up there.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Woman attacked in Scotland &lsquo;because she sounded English&rsquo; - Times Online

BBC NEWS | Scotland | England shirt attacks condemned

Women, disabled people and children attacked for being English. Or kiwi in the case of the 7 year old. It's a problem up there.
        You have picked out 2 examples in 6 years.

Yes, that is a trend then...

Comment

Your maths and reading comprehension are bit off, it's three (count 'em) attacks in four years.

Here is another one with some bigger numbers in:

Attacks on English a disgrace to north-east - Press & Journal

Now I'd agree the figures are slightly biased because there are probably more English people than some other groups, but I'd say 200 people a year getting attacked was a problem.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Your maths and reading comprehension are bit off, it's three (count 'em) attacks in four years.

Here is another one with some bigger numbers in:

Attacks on English a disgrace to north-east - Press & Journal

Now I'd agree the figures are slightly biased because there are probably more English people than some other groups, but I'd say 200 people a year getting attacked was a problem.
            Senior police are "exceptionally concerned" about a recent spate of murders of gay men as figures reveal that homophobic attacks are escalating. Campaigners say anti-gay violence has surged, and Scotland Yard statistics reveal a 9% rise in homophobic and transphobic offences to 1,372 in the year to April.
            I would say 1,372 gay people getting attacked in England was a problem.

And running that through your syndromed brain would mean England was a homophobic country would it not?

The Ministry of Justice statistics show there were 41,000 racially or religiously aggravated offences in 2005-06, the latest year for which figures are available.
            That figure will be for England and Wales alone, hardly a welcoming all embracing place is it?

There are tulip loads of rangers fans wandering about Glasgow just now wearing England tops. I work with dozens of Englanders and nobody seems to have an issue,

Really nobody gives a toss about you up here, you only start this stuff when you are getting pumped at the soccer. Yes, pumped at the soccer.

Comment

I thought you had flounced.

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Really nobody gives a toss about you up here, you only start this stuff when you are getting pumped at the soccer. Yes, pumped at the soccer.
              Aha! We get to the reason why you can't stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                I thought you had flounced.

Aha! We get to the reason why you can't stay away.
                I actually had an often hinted at holiday in England this week, yes I hate the English so much I go for a holiday in England during the first week of the world cup just to go to the bars during the England games and have a gloat because I knew you would not get through the group even though I have said on this forum many times you would get through the group.

Comment

I actually had an often hinted at holiday in England this week, yes I hate the English so much I go for a holiday in England during the first week of the world cup just to go to the bars during the England games and have a gloat because I knew you would not get through the group even though I have said on this forum many times you would get through the group.
                  I thought that the cornish were celtic and therefore as not English as the rest of you.

Having said that, you always used to run into a lot of people from the Midlands down in the South West during the summer but I don't know what it is like now because I haven't been there for twenty five years.

Comment

I would say 1,372 gay people getting attacked in England was a problem.
                    So would I. Bigotry in all it's forms is unacceptable.

And running that through your syndromed brain would mean England was a homophobic country would it not?
                    Only if your persecution complex is so severe you jump to the conclusion that I think Scotland is a racist place. I actually think it's rather a nice place, mostly full of pleasant people, but there are a small minority of violent, and probably alcoholic, bigots. Which would mean, of course, that the Scots and the English have more in common than you care to admit.

I presume by "getting pumped" you mean "allowed to join in" ? Are you feeling left out?

Comment

Working...
                    X