• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Why it should stay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 - Why it should stay

IR35 - Why it should stay :: Contractor UK

Only a company that charges to check IR35 status and insure against it would write such an article shirley.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 October 2011, 12:09.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Yep noticed that as well.

Though will add/agree with the following, there are no garantee's that what will replace it will be better. And yes something will replace it because otherwise we wil be back to the old quit on the Frdayi, come back as "contractor" on the monday senario

Actually be more common now with the tax raises and as it will be the banking sector who abuse it the most the public backlash would loud and produce massive kneejerk reactions/legistation

Comment

Under such a framework, workers would only be considered to be self-employed if they met one of three criteria:

• A person provides the plant and equipment for the piece of work they have been asked to carry out excluding normal traditional tools of the trade;

• All materials required to complete the work are provided by the worker; or

• The person uses other workers to carry out the work and is responsible for paying them.
      Given that the first 2 don't really apply to knowledge based services, it comes squarely down to RoS again - except if it is worded as such, it would mean you would have to actually invoke RoS in order to be self employed.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        Given that the first 2 don't really apply to knowledge based services, it comes squarely down to RoS again - except if it is worded as such, it would mean you would have to actually invoke RoS in order to be self employed.
        To be fair, the article clearly states that those are the criteria in use in the construction industry, and that the framework would need to be modified for the wider 'freelance' sector.

For instance, the materials test could be replaced with, say, a turnover test

Comment

They could just let us be self employed and pay self employed NICs.

I mean a builder, you tell him what colour to paint the house and keep him filled with tea and he's only painting one house at a time (if that!), but he's self employed.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            They could just let us be self employed and pay self employed NICs.

I mean a builder, you tell him what colour to paint the house and keep him filled with tea and he's only painting one house at a time (if that!), but he's self employed.
            Too right. When I get someone in to do my driveway, I tell and expect them that they spend all their time doing my job and not buggering off at 1pm to work on someone elses. Course when its pissing down, I dont expect them to be working putting cement and the like down.

Just because someone is working one job at a time doesnt mean they arent self employed. In fact, if someone is working 3 or 4 jobs at the same time, I'd say that makes them to be more of a cowboy than self employed!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

As much as I don't want to pay more tax, I feel the worse thing about it is the uncertainty, and the very existance of the mini-industry of insurance, and reviews, and lawyers, and the PCG, which has grown up around it serves no practical benefit to anyone.

At least if the new government rewrite the rules in a clear and simple way that includes most of us, then we all know where we stand.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
              X