• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefits Of Long Contract Vs Short Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits Of Long Contract Vs Short Contract

First time here so please be gentle -

Hypothetically what is better from a contractors view point:

A 12 month contract or a 6 month? I suppose one could argue that you can renew in 6 months and ask for a pay increase

Similarly would you take a slightly lower rate of there was a 3 month notice period for either side?

I am trying to weigh up a new offer that has just been made

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post

A 12 month contract or a 6 month? I suppose one could argue that you can renew in 6 months and ask for a pay increase
    Unless you have added significant, measurable value in the first 6 months you are likely to be easily fobbed off when asking for an increase. A guaranteed 12 months work would be my choice every time.

Similarly would you take a slightly lower rate of there was a 3 month notice period for either side?
    Why would the fact that they are so restrictive mean you should drop your rate. Doesn't really come into it for me but I think you could argue for a higher rate with those restrictive terms.

Comment

The one thats on offer.....

I don't worry about hypothetical..... If the role is a goodun then its a goodun.... you could get extended.... you could get canned..... all sorts could happen.....

Comment

I am trying to weigh up a new offer that has just been made

1 week if you're lucky.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
          Unless you have added significant, measurable value in the first 6 months you are likely to be easily fobbed off when asking for an increase. A guaranteed 12 months work would be my choice every time.
          Or do what I did on one 12 monther. Before I started I asked for a review at the 3 month mark. I got it.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post

Why would the fact that they are so restrictive mean you should drop your rate. Doesn't really come into it for me but I think you could argue for a higher rate with those restrictive terms.
            My question is whether having a 3 month notice period is valuable for the contractor? I would have to push for this to be the case and accept a slightly (5%) less rate.

My thinking is that this provides insurance should I get booted out as I would have three months to find a new gig

Do you see that?

Comment

They're not obliged to give you work during that three months. You only get paid when you work. So a three month notice period is useless.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My thinking is that this provides insurance
                My thinking is that this is permie thinking and that your thinking is flawed. As NAT says, long notice periods are of very little value in the contracting world.

Comment

You're never going to get a three month notice period from them, and as others have said it's worthless anyway. Agents like to sell you on longer contracts as a way of getting you to accept a lower rate, but all the term actually means for certain is you're agreeing the rate for that long. Longer term is of no benefit to you, only to them, especially if you have no ability to give notice.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    They're not obliged to give you work during that three months. You only get paid when you work. So a three month notice period is useless.
                    As a newbie and not knowing enough about contracting can you just confirm whether you are certain as far as that is concerned?

A notice period is a notice period - If they do not have work for you do they not pay you 'gardening leave'?

Comment

Working...
                    X