• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why a career as a computer programmer sucks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why a career as a computer programmer sucks

Half Sigma: Why a career in computer programming sucks
    Half Sigma: The death of the generalist software developer

Interesting read, funny comments at the end

Computer programming (along with nursing) has been specially targeted by our government for foreignization.
    That strikes a chord. Undercut us all with cheap Bobs and the IR35 problem goes away,

Comment

Those articles were written in March 2007

Comment

Support sucks twice as much, you still have the burden of keeping on top of new technologies but the reward is on par with admin, the storeman earns the same as me at my current permy role.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I blame people getting soft when it comes to pushing rates up.

Rates in IT only go up because people are willing to risk pushing pushing pushing them up at every opportunity.

The new breed of young IT people lack the nerve and the bollox to ask for more.

You get the rates you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Thank you Sir!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I blame people getting soft when it comes to pushing rates up.

Rates in IT only go up because people are willing to risk pushing pushing pushing them up at every opportunity.

The new breed of young IT people lack the nerve and the bollox to ask for more.

Sacked permies who don't yet realise that taking home the same as their last 'job' doesn't equate to a salary plus benefits.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
              X