• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gold coins - buying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gold coins - buying

Sovereigns or Britannias?

Note: It makes no sense if you are a UK tax payer to buy Krugs or any other non-UK gold coin as there is no CGT to pay on legal tender coins.

eBay.co.uk Guides - CGT Capital Gains Tax Exemption on Gold Sovereigns

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sovereigns or Britannias?

Note: It makes no sense if you are a UK tax payer to buy Krugs or any other non-UK gold coin as there is no CGT to pay on legal tender coins.

eBay.co.uk Guides - CGT Capital Gains Tax Exemption on Gold Sovereigns
    Ho hum - looks like it's time to start selling then. It was good whilst it lasted.

Comment

"Missed the boat" comes to mind.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

See... chavs aint as fick as they look.

Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I already have gold in BullionVault, but want to diversify my gold holding away from pure "paper" gold to physical gold and avoid CGT on any future rises.

If gold crashes or falls, I'll take that risk. But a crash in gold means the world's financial worries have all magically vanished and people have faith in paper money again.

So, back to the question, does it matter if I buy Sovs or Brits?

PS. Now it remember why I don't bother with CUK anymore. About as much use as a chocolate teapot. Back to some useful forums for me with a few intelligent people on there.

Comment

I already have gold in BullionVault, but want to diversify my gold holding away from pure "paper" gold to physical gold and avoid CGT on any future rises.

If gold crashes or falls, I'll take that risk. But a crash in gold means the world's financial worries have all magically vanished and people have faith in paper money again.

If what you say is true, then you already know the answer, which begs the question 'why then, would you bother asking on here?'. But of course, that's another question to which the answer is already known.

Comment

Originally posted by bingobob View Post
              If what you say is true, then you already know the answer, which begs the question 'why then, would you bother asking on here?'. But of course, that's another question to which the answer is already known.
              I don't know the answer to the question of whether the Sovereign or the Britannia is a better coin to hold long term.

FFS.

Forget it.

Comment

I don't have an opinion other than do your own research.

2003 Quarter Ounce Britannia Gold Proof Coin
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

PS. Now it remember why I don't bother with CUK anymore. About as much use as a chocolate teapot. Back to some useful forums for me with a few intelligent people on there.
                  Try here. This bloke sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    Try here. This bloke sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Working...
                    X